Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Almost as fast as dSLR

Hi,
I want a digital camera with a very fast response time. I am not just talking about shutter speed, I mean the entire process, from when I push the button to when the sensors have completely rendered the picture. I currently own an SLR film camera. I have always been reluctant to change to a digital camera, because I hate the response time. I don't care about seeing the picture right then, I just like to be able to push the button, and take a photo right then. I enjoy taking lots of good photos when traveling, but I leave the SLR on auto mode, and sometimes switch through its various other auto modes (scenery, close ups, etc.) I'm not a pro by any standard, I might fiddle with the manual settings occasionally, but nothing serious. I recently tried out the Panasonic Lumix GF2 and GF3, and they were the first digital, non-dSLR camera I have ever used that had an acceptable response time. I don't want to fork out the money for a dSLR, but I can do the $400 that GF2 costs. My number one priority by a large margin is just response time, and my budget is ~$400. What camera should I buy?
Thanks
Alex
earlingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:13 PM   #2

To be honest,unless you require VERY high burst speeds- pretty much any DSLR today should give you enough response.
Auto-focusing is swift(though naturally,some better than others)- as is shutter response- and the mirror business is much the same as an old film camera(assuming you want a DSLR and not a mirrorless system).
A quick clearing buffer,enabling you to take another shot when YOU require,generally improves as the price goes up- much like anything in life... many having more than one processor on board..!
A word of caution with mirrorless systems- even with an EVF- tracking a moving subject may prove tricky- quite often the displays don't keep up with the capture- making tracking a big problem...
A word of note- if you're using a live view system on a DSLR- expect things to slow down a great deal..!

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:52 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
A word of note- if you're using a live view system on a DSLR- expect things to slow down a great deal..!
... unless you're using a Sony dSLR with Live View, since they focus just as fast in Live View mode as they do using the viewfinder.

That's because Sony dSLR models with Live View have a separate Live View sensor in the viewfinder housing that sees the same thing normally projected to the optical viewfinder. So, they still use fast Phase Detect Autofocus sensors when in Live View mode.

But, Sony is slowly changing from dSLR models with "fast Autofocus Live View" (A300, A330, A500, A550, A560, A580) to newer SLT camera models (A33, A55, A65, A77, etc.) using a "Translucent Mirror" design. The new SLT models don't require a separate Live View sensor, since their design allows some of the light to go to the AF sensors, while providing a live view from the main imaging sensor at the same time, with no mirror blackout issues interrupting the AF sensors while shooting. So, you still have very fast Phase Detect AF.

In any event, any Sony dSLR or SLT model with Live View produced in the last few years can focus just as fast using Live View as they can using their viewfinders, thanks to designs that allow the use of their faster Phase Detect AF Sensors, whereas competing designs use slower Contrast Detect AF when using Live View.

There's really no comparison to other models if you're looking at models with larger sensors, as the Sony models have vastly superior Autofocus Speed in Live View mode if you look at any of the dSLR models or SLT models produced in the last view years (as they can all use fast Phase Detect AF when in Live View mode; whereas other dSLR models are using much slower contrast detect AF).

But, given the OP's $400 budget, I don't think any [true] dSLR models are going to fit the requirements. It sounds like the OP wants a fast camera using other focus techniques instead (like the Panasonic models mentioned using Contrast Detect AF, as even though Contrast AF is slower than the Phase Detect AF you get with Sony dSLR and SLT models, it may be fast enough on the models the OP is considering).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:35 AM   #4

Right, I don't need true dSLR. I have looked over consumer reports, and I'm thinking something in what they call the "SLR-like" category. I don't mind if my viewfinder isn't the lens-image, and I don't even mind if it doesnt even have a viewfinder. I will take film pictures if I want something excellent. I am really going more for my everyday, super fast, film SLR companion camera, where I can take some quick shots of friends, or casual scenery photos.
earlingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:25 AM   #5

The speed of digital camera's has come on on leaps and bounds over the last few years.
My old Canon 10D needs a bus pass between shots,simply down to slow processing- despite the decent autofocus time and shutter response. However,the next model- the 20D- was light years faster- and bear in mind we're now on the 60D..!
I would suggest going down to your local camera store and try a few out- see if they meet your requirements....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:25 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I think it's fairly simple - choose one of the M4/3 cameras in your price range.

At the price you are looking at your options are fairly limited.

Prime candidate I think is the Panasonic GF3.