Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:15 PM   #1

Default Canon Elph 300 HS

Hi Forum,
I received my new Elph 300 yesterday, and have been reviewing shots taken vs my cheap Fuji A340. The Fuji blows it away! I think I got a bad one, but I am not sure it will get any better if I try another one. The pictures are really soft, not sharp. Color is good, but it looks like everything is slightly blurry. Has anyone had trouble getting a bad one? Would the Elph 310 be better, or something else?
Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by Cburg; Mar 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM.
Cburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:26 PM   #2

Perhaps you could upload a pic on here to show us your concerns- even a comparison with the Fuji..?
Maybe you have a rogue example..?
Here's what Steve's thought....
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...usion-128.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:08 PM   #3

OK; here's a comparison:

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cburg; Mar 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4

Comments please?
The top one is the Canon, bot is the Fuji.
Is the difference an ISO thing, or the lens quality?
Thanks!
Mike
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5

My impressions:
- I agree with you that the difference is obvious. The Fuji pic looks much sharper. On top of that, the colors on the Fuji pic seem to be more saturated, but that may be just a setting in the camera
- It doesn't look like the problem with the Canon pic is ISO noise. Were both pics taken at the same ISO setting?
- The center of the Canon shot looks somewhat sharper than the corners, though it's kind of hard to tell with this pic. A more symetric pic where all elements are at the same distance could help in this case
- Apparently, you resized both pictures when you posted them. You may want to post 100 % crops instead to further identify your camera issues, as explained on this post
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:24 PM   #6

As city_zen alludes to- maybe the Canon was set at a higher iso- with excessive noise reduction at work.? But yes- the Fuji image is certainly better...
If iso and flash settings(if used) are the same,then I would suggest there is a clear issue with the Canon.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:32 PM   #7

According to the Data on your pics-
Canon- iso 400- 1/15th sec,f/5.9
Fuji- iso 125- 1/60th sec,f/4.8

Whilst the increased iso of the Canon noise will start to show- though it shouldn't account for the large difference here.
What might be more significant,possibly,is the fact that you may be just getting some slight motion blur at 1/15th of a sec shutter speed.

Curiously- despite the Fuji's lower iso/sensitivity- this is the image using the faster shutter speed- 4x faster in fact..!!
I'd look further into the Canon's settings before writing it off...

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:08 AM   #8

Thanks for the opinions guys!
I get similar results in bright sunlight; things just don't appear sharp. I took it back already, so I can't investigate any further.
The comparison was made with each in auto mode, and with flash. I don't know what the ISO settings were. Simon; how did you determine the settings? I was careful to hold it steady.
Do you think I got a bad one? I might try another one if you think so. I got this one from Target. Best Buy has it too. Hopefully if I go there I will get a different lot or run.
Appreciate it!
Mike

Last edited by Cburg; Mar 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:09 AM   #9

Cburg- the data was still embedded in the images...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:56 AM   #10

My ELPH 300 HS is about 6 months old and I have only recently noticed a difference in image quality; however, looking back through photos, there does seem to be a poor quality issue going all the way back to the first shots taken in November/December 2011.

What really brought it to light was sharing photos with friends who traveled with us to the French Alps. They were shooting with an iPhone, Sony Cybershot (DSC-W50), and their photos were much sharper than ours.

Also, it seems that my wide angle is not as wide as when I first started using it. I have gone through the function set-up several times and searched the manual (pdf) for something I may have done to cause this, but can see nothing.

I am contacting Cannon to talk about returning.the camera but maybe I should be looking at a different make/model...?
LeCrave
LeCrave_1 is offline   Reply With Quote