Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:16 AM   #1

Default want new advanced camera

am an avid photo grapher
i own a canon G9 and it was fine till i dropped it .had it repaired , but still not ok

i wud like to get a new cam ... one with as much functions as the G9 .. or ofcourse a SLR ... but the bulk is a def drawback , i'd like to carry cameras around with ease . so unless i find that smaller cameras do not give me as good a shot as these advanced cameras i wud prefer not to buy an SLR

have luked around a bit and these are the models i have narrowed down to . i have no idea abt these models results and i need to know which among them wud be the best decision
in built flash is a must
and the more creative options (WE CAN REALLY USE )the camera has the better

olympus EPL1
EPL2
EP3
XZ1

Panasonic FX150
LX2
Lx3
LX5
DCM GF1
DCM GF2
DCM GF3

plz help
Additional Details

pic quality is of the utmost importance

i aslso need a cam that takes really good video.

creative options that are good , not pseudo stuff that i simly pay for .i know that epl has some good stuff , but i do not know abt the performance of the panasonic models .i understand that the creative options can be turned on in video... thats a def differnce with my present G9

in bulit flash .
good low light
fast moving kids

i am unaware of the performace of these models . which is why i have listed them out
i am also not in a position to handle these models. so i cannot try them out b4 i buy
kl34quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:04 AM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3

Default thanks !

im a stay at home mom

so i shoot
1.the active son
2.video of the same fellow
3.family gatherings
4.macro
5. I like creative options
6. artistic shots
I am fond of this camera

i have spendt quite a bit of time on the EPL2
1.why shud i not go for it ? what are the pros

2.what is the zoom on it ? i cannot seem to find the answer to that .im used to 6 X so anything less might cause discomfort.

3. does the camera come with kit lens , or is it optinal ?
if so do i stick to the olympus or get a panasonic lens ( this seems to be preferd by most on the net , why so ?

i have been told to luk at the sony NEX .
4. side by side comparison , how are the NEX and epl2 . pros and cons ?

im still not ready to by an SLR simply becoz of the size .And i feel that the mirrorless cameras who do a capable job with the compact handy size.I hear u have to do alot of cleaning of the lens ,,, i wudnt even know how to start cleaning .

my only sorrow is that active kids shooting will be blurry on the [email protected], but i was managing ok ...not gr8 , but ok with my Canon G9

Last edited by kl34quest; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: more info
kl34quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Interchangeable lens cameras don't have a "Zoom". That's the lens. A 12-50mm zoom is a 4X lens, but so is a 75-300mm lens, but they both have very different angles of view. The 12-50 has an angle of view that ranges from 84 to 24, while the 75-300 has an angle of view ranging from 16 to 4.1. So the "Zoom" that you're accustomed to referring to with P&S digicams doesn't mean anything on a camera with interchangeable lenses.

Both Panasonic and Olympus make m4/3 lenses, but Olympus puts image stabilization in the body, while Panasonic puts it in the lens. You can put a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body, but you need to shut off stabilization somewhere. Otherwise, both systems will compensate for camera shake, and thus, together, they will overcompensate. And if you put an Olumpus lens on a Panasonic body, you won't have any stabilization. That's ok, so long as you know about it.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote