Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #11

I hate all these options!

I think I'm leaning toward the T3i kit w/ the 18-135mm and 55-250mm lenses. With the vingetting and distortion aside, is it safe to say that a 18-135 will do everything (and more) than the 18-55mm?
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
... With the vingetting and distortion aside, is it safe to say that a 18-135 will do everything (and more) than the 18-55mm?
Well, yeah. With the vingetting and distortion aside, I'd say the 18-135 woudl do as well as the 18-55.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:58 PM   #13

with the 18-135 you will not be changing lens as often. And match with the 55-250 it covers allot of general photography needs.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
....is it safe to say that a 18-135 will do everything (and more) than the 18-55mm?
Yes. The 18-135mm compares well with the 18-55mm IS. Image quality is
about the same. The 18-135mm has slightly better build quality. It has a
metal mount instead of the plastic mount of the 18-55mm. It has a better
manual focus ring. Another advantage of the 18-135mm is that the front
element doesn't rotate during focusing. This is handy if you use CPL or
GND filters.

You won't go too far wrong either way. Positive reviews of the 18-55mm IS
are often qualified by a comment about the low price. ie: "great lens for the price".
In fact, the 18-55mm IS is a damn good lens even if you don't take the price into
consideration.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:47 PM   #15

Well, I decided on the lenses I want but am now second guessing which camera to purchase.

I guess the one thing that I read that makes me uneasy was the T3i's continuous shooting mode speed, 3.7fps. Being the amateur that I am, I typically would not know what that figure means but I understand its slow. Is that truly considered slow? I guess not for someone like me upgrading from the FZ35.
Here is what I want in a camera:

1. I enjoy to hunt, travel, etc. I like taking taking photos of wildlife (moving & stationary), landscapes, my dog, & my future kids.
2. I like HD video (autofocus preferred)
3. I dislike EVF's. Prefer optical. Should a EVF be a dealbreaker?
4. A lot of zoom.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:51 PM   #16

My first dSLR was limited to 3 fps. I like to shoot sports/action/wildlife, and I considered that limiting. My current dSLR can shoot at up to 5 fps, but after I used it a few time, I generally just leave it on 3 fps.

The best AF system is the Phase Detect AF system. dSLRs can use PDAF, but only with the mirrors in the way. 'Live View' retracts the mirrors so the main image sensor senses the light coming through the lens. With the mirrors retracted, dSLRs can only use the Contrast detect AF system which isn't as good. As a result, AF while recording video doesn't work very well if at all.

The only way arround that is Sony's use of a fixed semitransparent mirror which supports the PDAF system while passing most of the light to the main image sensor. Since an optical viewfinder isn't possible, Sony uses an electronic viewfinder fed from the main image sensor. If you want to shoot video with a dSLR, Sony's SLTs are the best solution, and the newer models with the newer EVFs are improvements over the older models.

An EVF is brighter, especially in low light, but only you can tell if you want to use it, and to do that, you need to try it.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:11 PM   #17

Quote:
I guess the one thing that I read that makes me uneasy was the T3i's continuous shooting mode speed, 3.7fps.
3.7 frames per second up to 34 Large/Fine JPEG / 6 RAW frames is decent for a consumer level DSLR. This allows you to capture fast breaking action under good conditions.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:42 PM   #18

I guess that's what too much research will get you. I'm sure the Canon T3i will suit my needs and then some. Just need to place the order and start taking photos. Thanks for all the advice!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:37 AM   #19

I suggest you go to a good camera store and try some out.

And when you find one you think you can be happy with, buy it there.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:10 AM   #20

All i can say is the 18-55 isnt a bad lens and when you team it with the 55-250 you really have a good starting point you then add a 50 1.8 and for the most part job done.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote