Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:30 AM   #11

Thanks a lot for the explanation Simon. I understood it much better now specially regarding focal length which I hardly took notice before. So the number x basically is just multiplying it to the wide angle setting of a particular cam.

I went to check out some cams in a shop just to see it in actual and although the shop assistant wasn't as knowledgeable as you are, he was able to also help. I was able to see an Olympus pen series PL1 and the GF3. I see it's not flat at all like the compact cams and therefore not the portable kind. I suppose the GF3 is the slimmest of all and does seem portable. I have to understand the specs better for this type. I was sort of put off by typical comments online about this cam. Mainly they commented that they got this cam because its an advancement to the compact cam yet not as bulky as a dslr (exactly my sentiment). But they were quite disappointed because they couldn't yet 'control' the camera to the point that they say that their old point and shoot cam seem to take better pics. So it's kind of intimidating for me who doesn't know much about manual controls nor is it time for me to take photography lessons just to take pics of my little ones.

I was biased against the Ixus because I have an Ixus 120IS and it's terrible indoors, which is when I take most pics. It just can't compare with the LX3 that I have. The only thing I like about it is that it's very portable. It seems the ZS15 is almost the same as the Ixus1000 in terms of focal length at 16x384mm. I'm almost leaning towards this one also because I think they are not selling much ixus1000
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:26 AM   #12

If you want to remain "compact" and have a decent zoom with decent IQ,then I guess the ZS15(TZ25) is about as good as you'll get.
A good sensor,good focal range,class leading autofocus speeds and burst modes,full manual modes should you wish to indulge etc- and the usual Panasonic build quality which has been the trademark of ALL the ZS (TZ) series.

Here's a review of the TZ25 (ZS15)- with images for you to scrutinise/download etc...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_tz25_review/

Last edited by SIMON40; Apr 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 AM   #13

Simon, You've been such a great help. I will definitely look into it. While I think it's still not available here, I have time to check out and understand the GF3 kind (not sure how it is called) of camera. Thanks a lot and I appreciate the time you spent to reply to this. I hope that you'd still be around to reply to my queries from time to time. Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:59 PM   #14

No problemo...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:34 AM   #15

Hi. Back again with a question.

I am trying to understand, is the length of the 14-42mm zoom. I never owned any external lens before so I have no idea about this. I may be able to understand what this is by comparing it to the compact zoom cams. For instance the ZS15's spec sheet indicated that it's 16x zoom (24-384mm). So does it mean that the ZS15's has more zoom than that of a 14-42mm zoom? That is to say that the ZS15 can take pics farther than that of the GF3?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:54 AM   #16

Yes- the GF3 has what's known as a 4/3 sensor (17.3mm x 13mm in size)- which is smaller than a typical DSLR APS-C sensor (roughly 23mm x 15mm- though Nikon/Canon etc vary slightly in size,though not worth mentioning here)
The smaller GF3 sensor has a direct impact on the focal length available,relative to the lens attached- namely a 2x magnification effect- so the 14-42mm lens actually gives you a focal length equivalent of 28-84mm on the GF3- as it does on any Panasonic/Olympus 4/3rds body.
Typically the larger APS-C sensor of a Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony has a smaller magnification effect of roughly 1.5x and a typical 18-55 kit lens gives them roughly an equivalent focal length of 25-83mm,give or take....
By the same token the larger still full frame sensor DSLR's have even less magnification factor- with an equivalent focal length close to what is stamped on the lens..!

Simply put- an interchangeable lens system camera(DSLR,mirrorless or whatever...) requires some maths to figure out what focal length you have available to you- whereas a compact camera or bridge,with its fixed lens has what it says on the tin,with the quoted focal length being what is actually available to you.

In short,the ZS15's "actual" 24-384mm is a great deal longer than the GF3's "equivalent" 28-84mm...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:59 AM   #17

Phew.. it took me 3 times to read over to let it all sink in. :-) I appreciate the explanation because I am sure there are many pros out there who may not be as patient to explain thinking that it's too much details to give a novice.

The GF3 is not as appealing to me anymore because of that. I think I have to go back to the compact ultra zoom and if I do plan to upgrade from a compact, I think that I will go for a bridge kind where there is already the zoom lens built in. After all, if I'm going to lug a heavy cam and get only that short of a zoom then I might as well get the bridge kind which goes at least 20x zoom and even more. The SX40 you mentioned seems quite heavy though. Maybe in the future when I don't need to lug a lot of baby's stuff I may consider it.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:19 PM   #18

Actually,I find the SX40 feels quite light- mind you,I am used to lugging around a heavy semi pro DSLR around...!!
Here's a few shots I took with my SX40HS- all at iso 1600...!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4197640...7628112681238/
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:58 PM   #19

Well of course if you are comparing it with a DLSR, it's like nothing. :-) I see that it's more than 600g. But if you compare it with a compact cam that I am used to, then it's like a ton of brick.

Is the FZ150 in the same type as the SX40? It's lighter isn't it?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:08 AM   #20

The FZ-150 is a touch lighter- though curiously feels better made..!
And yes,it is essentially the same type of camera.
It's not quite as long at the zoom end as the Canon (840mm to 600mm) though is still large enough- and in many other way's is better than the Canon- with faster autofocus,options to add mic's to its impressive movie capture abilities,larger 3" screen,12fps burst mode with an even more impressive 5fps WITH autofocus...!!
It is a very impressive camera,with MANY users here at Steve's...
Just visit the Panasonic pages to see many pics taken with this camera etc....