Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
See DxOMark's comparison of the three cameras here. When you click on the Measurements tab, you'll see that the Noise (SNR 18%) and Tonal Range are very similar. There is some difference, however, in the Dynamic Range chart. The A65 has better dynamic range than the D60 at lower ISOs (100-200) but in the middle of their ranges (800-3200) the D60 does better than the A65. The A580 outperforms the other two in all three areas.

Remember also that the A65 has a 24MP image sensor, the D60 has an 18MP sensor, and the A580 has a 16MP sensor.

The EVF in the A65 uses an OLED panel. Earlier SLT models used an LCD panel that was slow to react, and whose resolution wasn't very good. The A65 (and the A77) EVF has a higher resolution, and it reacts faster, but OLEDs have a whole different set of convection oven, the most significant to my mind is that blue OLEDs degrade more quickly than the red and green OLEDs. Manufacturers usually counter that by initially making the blue OLEDs brighter than the OLEDs for the other colors, but over time, the blues will become less bright, and the color balance of the display will change. This is not something that someone should worry about in the near term. But since the A65 & A77 are relatively new products, no one has had one long enough to notice any change.

The only significant problem I've ever heard anyone having with Sony's EVF is how it works when using an external flash. The EVF increases its brightness in low light conditions, but sometimes, it will dim more than you might expect when using flash.

As nice as the Sony A580 is, Sony USA seems to have discontinued it.

A significant reason to choose one dSLR brand over another is the lenses available. Both Canon and Sony have some excellent lenses, so your choice should really come down to what you want to shoot.

So, what type(s) of photography are you interested in pursuing?
I'm thinking of doing some landscape shots, would either of those cameras be suitable?
Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:31 AM   #12

For landscape photography, I'd give the Sonys a very slight edge. From the DxOMark measurements, it seems that the Sonys have better dynamic range. Plus the Sony's have larger image sensors that the Canon, so with the same focal length lens, the Sonys will have a wider angle of view. On the other hand, the Canon has a larger selection of good lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:10 PM   #13

Both camera will do a good job with landscapes. The slight edge that the sony has in DA is exactly that a slight edge. You will need to print huge or pixel peep to notice it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:23 PM   #14

Thank you all for the help! I am now leaning toward a Canon 60D. Now I wonder if I should get the lens set or body only and buy a lens. I was considering just buying the body and then getting a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 as my first lens. The other option is the 18-135 lens, and although it would be easy, I worry that even if I buy the kit lens, I would quickly buy the sigma anyways, and would not use the kit lens anymore, almost wasting the extra money paid for it.

Also, does the Canon loyalty program that I have seen referenced in certain places still exist? is it a good and reliable place to buy?

Im also thinking about the 7d, but right now that is too expensive, although I do like it.
ConCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:23 PM   #15

17-70 is a very nice lens. It would be a good landscape lens
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:48 PM   #16

Not sure about buying Sony. The equipment is good, but recently saw they were laying off 10,000 people about 6% of their workforce for 2012.
Trying to somehow show profits by axing workers, after 7 years of consistent losses.
http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/09/sony-10k-layoffs/

Not a good sign.

Re: the 7D it is a very good camera, but it is also over 3 years old now. Guessing soon to be replaces with a newer model.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote