Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:22 AM   #1

Default DSLR Canon vs. Sony?

I am looking to purchase a new DSLR, and have been going between Canon and Sony. I have been looking at the Canon 60d or the Sony A65 or maybe a A580.

I really do like the Canon, but the 60d is over 1yr old, will Canon update the XXD line soon?

How do the 60D and A65 compare in IQ, with noise and such?

I have used the EVF of the a65 only once, but I think I could like it, so the EVF vs OVF isnt really that much of a concern, having said that, how is the EVF in real world use? I have only used it in a store, how is color representation and such?
ConCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCon View Post
I am looking to purchase a new DSLR, and have been going between Canon and Sony. I have been looking at the Canon 60d or the Sony A65 or maybe a A580.
Welcome to the forum.

All three are fine cameras. They represent the current state-of-the-art in
consumer DSLRs.

Quote:
I really do like the Canon, but the 60d is over 1yr old, will Canon update the XXD line soon?
I'm sure they will produce a new XXD sometime soon.

Quote:
How do the 60D and A65 compare in IQ, with noise and such?
If you look closely at review sample images, you will see that all of them
are capable of producing very high quality images. At the moment, the
popular wisdom is that the Sony sensors used in Sony, Nikon and Pentax
DSLRs have a slight performance advantage. Looking at the studio comparison
shots on dpreview shows that the 60D images are clearer and slightly less
noisy than the A65. This is to be expected because of the light lost in the
translucent mirror.

Quote:
I have used the EVF of the a65 only once, but I think I could like it, so the EVF vs OVF isnt really that much of a concern, having said that, how is the EVF in real world use? I have only used it in a store, how is color representation and such?
I haven't seen one so I can't comment on it. The big advantage of the
SLT/EVF system is that fast phase-detect autofocus is available at
all times, even when you are shooting video. Shooting video with the
Canon is difficult because it has to use it's painfully slow contrast-detect
AF when the mirror is flipped up for video or Live View shooting.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:00 AM   #3

See DxOMark's comparison of the three cameras here. When you click on the Measurements tab, you'll see that the Noise (SNR 18%) and Tonal Range are very similar. There is some difference, however, in the Dynamic Range chart. The A65 has better dynamic range than the D60 at lower ISOs (100-200) but in the middle of their ranges (800-3200) the D60 does better than the A65. The A580 outperforms the other two in all three areas.

Remember also that the A65 has a 24MP image sensor, the D60 has an 18MP sensor, and the A580 has a 16MP sensor.

The EVF in the A65 uses an OLED panel. Earlier SLT models used an LCD panel that was slow to react, and whose resolution wasn't very good. The A65 (and the A77) EVF has a higher resolution, and it reacts faster, but OLEDs have a whole different set of problems, the most significant to my mind is that blue OLEDs degrade more quickly than the red and green OLEDs. Manufacturers usually counter that by initially making the blue OLEDs brighter than the OLEDs for the other colors, but over time, the blues will become less bright, and the color balance of the display will change. This is not something that someone should worry about in the near term. But since the A65 & A77 are relatively new products, no one has had one long enough to notice any change.

The only significant problem I've ever heard anyone having with Sony's EVF is how it works when using an external flash. The EVF increases its brightness in low light conditions, but sometimes, it will dim more than you might expect when using flash.

As nice as the Sony A580 is, Sony USA seems to have discontinued it.

A significant reason to choose one dSLR brand over another is the lenses available. Both Canon and Sony have some excellent lenses, so your choice should really come down to what you want to shoot.

So, what type(s) of photography are you interested in pursuing?

Last edited by TCav; Apr 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4

I am mostly interested in a good camera to take vacation pictures with, and since I have a couple of dogs and cats, something that can take pictures of them faster than my Lumix can right now that I have.

Also, I remember that the A55 had some issues with third party Sigma lenses with the aperture I think, and this worries me since many of the lenses that I would like to eventually get, are Sigma. Does the A65 have any issue with third party lenses that anyone knows about?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:30 PM   #5

Every time Sony introduces a new camera, Sigma has to upgrade all their lenses to work with it. The good new is that they do so very quickly.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCon View Post
I am mostly interested in a good camera to take vacation pictures with, and since I have a couple of dogs and cats, something that can take pictures of them faster than my Lumix can right now that I have.
You don't have anything that would really tax one camera more than any of the others. I suggest you go to a good camera store and try them out. If you can't comfortably hold a camera, if you cant' find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots and be disappointed with the camera.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:35 PM   #7

The 60d will not get updated this year maybe the end of next year. Canon seems to redo the xxd line every 3 years.

If you shoot action the canon has the better af system. The most cross type af points.

For general photography all 3 will do the job fine. The canon does have the most lens option.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:07 PM   #8

One thing I have always wondered about AF. what makes canon AF better then Sony? Is it just more cross type sensors? If so, would the 2 systems be equal if I mostly only used the center point?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:16 PM   #9

Canon has been at action photography more serious at the pro level. Allot of the knowledge gets down to their mid grade camera. When Sony brought minolta, they let that slack in the dslr world.

The added cross types make for more accurate af. I know the center point of the canon is a enhance af point especially with 2.8 lenses. Also the lenses lineup of canon has allot of lenses design for action.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:35 AM   #10

To add to shoturtle's comments, a lot comes down to the camera's software for keeping a moving subject in focus. Canon and Nikon have that down pretty good in their top and mid level cameras, while Sony and Pentax are lacking. Unfortunately, there's no metric for that.