Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:21 AM   #1

Default Need some advice pls...

My knowledge of cameras is pretty much limited to that I know which way the lens needs to point to take a picture. I'm not adverse to learning, but my immediate need is to find a camera in the next 2 weeks for use at my wife's nursing school graduation.

About the only thing I know I need is the ability for the camera to take descent pictures while zooming in from 50 to 75 feet. It also needs to be able to shoot video... HD is not necessary.

I've been looking at the Canon SX40 ($350) and the fuji S4500 ($250) at Costco. The Canon seems like the better camera, but I'm not sure if either is what I'm looking for. I'm hoping some one can offer a couple of suggestions. My upper dollar limit is around $500... but I certainly don't want to spend more than I need to.

Thanks

Tom
TomD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:14 AM   #2

Tom- the SX40 will certainly get you close enough with it's whopping 840mm zoom- and the IQ is certainly up to "decent" standard- certainly among the best in its class,along with the Panasonic FZ-150- another great "all in one" camera.
I shoot video with my SX40- and use the basic VGA video all of the time,as I find it more than adequate and uses less file space- though of course you do have the full HD option.
The Panasonic is also very competent in the video area- and by all accounts,even better than the SX40 due to its fast autofocus system.
The Fuji S4500 might be "ok" if you're presented with good lighting conditions- but in challenging lighting will be no match for the Canon or the Panasonic.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:23 PM   #3

Thanks Simon, that helps a lot.

One more question... Show I be considering something like the Rebel T2i (my wife's idea)... or is that just over the top for my needs...

Thanks again

Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:25 PM   #4

The T2i is a nice capable camera- though you'll need an appropriate lens attached if you need to shoot over a distance,with the inevitable rise in costs.
Canon's 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is a decent entry level "walkabout" lens with a reasonable zoom range,which should just about cover the range you're after.
However- this combo is likely to overstep your budget...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:12 PM   #5

Thanks Simon... we're going to go with the SX40