Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:49 AM   #1

Default agonizing over bridge camera

Looking at four cameras. Use for travel only. all have pros/cons. I want good auto capability, (I never really change the settings) fast, with clear crisp pictures, and i ike zooming. can't decide between nikon p510, sony dsc hx 200, canon 40 and panasonic lumix 150. Latter gets great reviews, but can't really figure out if the difference in zooms makes a difference, when you zoom out to fullest on something like the nikon, and pictures are fuzzy at full zoom! thanks for helping to put me out of my misery.
jurpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:00 AM   #2

I have a Nikon P510 and get consistent good results at full zoom. That was a key reason for buying it, what came as a pleasant surprise was just how good it is at macros as well as everything in between.
I'm an auto shooter and don't generally play much with settings unless I have a wish to really do something, and the JPG programmers at Nikon did a splendid job of getting top results, also the image stabilisation really works, like really really works, the camera is good to use at full zoom, though you do have to be patient when framing.
I'd love to see a full on comparison between the superzooms though usually testers are more impressed with features like the RAW that I ignore.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:01 AM   #3

i had a panasonic fz150. i got it after agonizing. it was a darn fine camera, and i was happy with it zoomed. i often used it in program (pretty much like auto). but i suspect you might like the panasonic, as two of the main reasons i got the fz150 was to have more manual movie control and to shoot raw. the canon has slightly better jpg's than the fz150 imo, so if you don't want to mess with raw and controls, why not check one out in person? i found the canon very comfortable in the hand (i'm 5' 3"), as did my 6' 7" husband.

if you're not sure about zoom, why not check out sample pics of each camera fully azoomed out and see what you think?

btw, here's a pic on flickr that's my fz150 fully zoomed all the way out - the tree was outside the park and all the way across the freeway. the pic isn't great, but it looked better (i suspect flickr may change the quality a bit for us free users maybe) and still looks pretty decent. also the wind was blowing a bit, so all the leaves were moving in the breeze. pic was taken in program, btw.

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:17 AM   #4

Default agonizing

I was going between the hx200v and the hx30v because I allready have a camcord that uses the same battery as the 200 and a hx5v that uses the same as the 30v.

Buy.com had the sony 200v for 399.00 4-25-12 after you add it to cart so I bought it yesterday. $80.00 off retail.

I read the reviews from all competitors and since I allready use the sony software for my pics and videos , allready have extra batteries and have a camcord in which I can charge the other batteries the sony was a no brainer for me.

It would have been a hard choice otherwise, sorry I couldn't help unless you missed the 399 buy and that makes up your mind.
John Barfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Default appoligy

sorry it was buydig not buy.com
John Barfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:35 PM   #6

G'day Jurpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurpie View Post
Looking at four cameras. Use for travel only. ... I want good auto capability, .... fast, with clear crisp pictures, and i ike zooming. can't decide between nikon p510, sony dsc hx 200, canon 40 and panasonic lumix 150. .... when you zoom out to fullest ... pictures are fuzzy at full zoom! thanks for helping to put me out of my misery.
May I help confuse your misery

In the last 48 hrs I have walked the walk with a friend via various local camera shops with this exact issue. We looked at 3 of your 4 > the Sony was not available

Of the Nikon + Canon + Panny, each are well-made & reliable cameras. Each comes with 1001 features for you to use -if- you wish to or decide to move away from auto.
When it comes to zoom stuff, each has a lens that zooms to over 20x zoom ... and from my experience, once you start hand-holding the camera at 25x or 30x or whatever, then the normal body movement of breathing or the effects of the breeze upon you as you try to stand still -all work against you to make the images blurry
A good photographer will do one of two things - either use a tripod to steady the camera, -or- brace themselves against a tree / lamp post / parking sign etc for support, while very-very carefully, pressing the shutter button. It can be done, but with long zooms, it needs to be done carefully

As far as the cameras are concerned, for all intents they are very similar - it will come down to your hands/fingers/eyes. You need to hold & try & use them in the shop to find which one works 'best' in your hands. It's like a pair of shoes - you have to try them on to see how they fit

The Canon & Nikon both have a rotary dial that also is pressed at times to activate a second menu > try these to see how they work for you [the 2-in-1 arrangement did not work for me]
Have a look at -all- the camera menus to see how easy each is for you to follow &/or to make changes > each works a bit differently

Whichever camera you end up choosing will then be -your- choice and you will be able to call it 'mine' for many years of fun photography

Enjoy the world of photography - just like all of us here ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7

FZ150 would be my first choice; SX40 my 2nd. The Sony doesn't compare.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:25 AM   #8

my thought, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
FZ150 would be my first choice; SX40 my 2nd. The Sony doesn't compare.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote