Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:34 PM   #1

Default Stop me if you've heard this before - which camera should I buy?

Hello,
I am in the market for a point and shoot digital camera. My main complain with all of my digi cameras thus far are blurry (action) photos. I'm not a pro and don't need a camera for anything other than casual, social events. I am HOPING to find a digi camera for around $200 and works well for action, higher movement photos (bbq's, parties, sporting events, etc.).

Is it a pipe dream to expect to find a camera that handles action photos well for around $200? I don't need a big zoom function or any bells and whistles.

Any recommendations?

Much love!
-N
Newbsnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:31 AM   #2

if the shutter speed and iso can be manually adjusted on a camera, chances are you can get better pics. if you're talking daytime outdoor sports, a faster shutter speed will freeze the action for you. if you're talking indoor or nighttime, a lot of newer cameras have handheld night modes. and if the blur is from hand shake rather than motion shake, image stabilization will help.

have you checked out the canon sx230 and sx260, as well as the sx150? also if you don't need much zoom, i suggest trying the canon sd400, which has a lens that takes in more light than most cameras in its size and price range.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:22 AM   #3

As pcake says- full manual modes- necessary to keep shutter speeds high- as opposed to an auto "sports" scene mode- will fare much better. Also- a camera with fast autofocus will help massively- and is arguably the most important factor of all when shooting moving subjects. This is where Panasonic leads the way....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely check those recommendations out!

Right now I have a Casio Exilim ex-s5 and if someone moves while taking a photo or if their is any camera movement (operator error I know), the pictures come out horribly blurry. Upon reading the cnet review, the main "con" is long shutter lag!
Newbsnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5

"Shutter lag" is basically the time between when you press the shutter and when the pic is actually taken- some include autofocus in that timing,some don't.
So any camera movement and subject movement in that time potentially results in camera and/or subject movement.
A high shutter speed should alleviate blur caused by camera movement- and even if your subject has moved slightly during any shutter lag,should still come out crisp due to a high shutter speed- and as I stated earlier- a fast autofocus will improve things greatly- catching the subject where you intended.
Of course- higher sensitivity settings (iso) have to be used to achieve correct exposures whilst using high shutter speeds in anything other than ideal lighting- especially on compact cameras and when using the longer end of zoom lenses.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:47 PM   #6

your casio does not have manual mode or - as far as i can tell - a way to adjust the shutter speed. also on cnet it says it suffers from long shutter lag. my guess is there's no way to speed things up so pics won't have motion blur. you can do better for $200.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote