Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:26 AM   #1

Default Plz Help to Select my 1st DSLR

Hi every one.. M new to this so i hope you will help me.. I used to do photoshots with my Sony Digital Cam DSC H20/P but now i wanna buy a DSLR... i wanna buy Nikon coz every one say go for that its good but now i read so many views comments that canon is also good. and now i confuse should i go for NIKON or for CANON.. if i go for nikon which one is good D3100, D5100 or any other is good and for canon m not sure but i think 550D and 6000D are good... Plz help me actually i want to invest 1st time only and i want to buy a good one so that i can use that and enjoy as much as possible..and also pl tell me about the lenses as well. which brand has good and cheaper...
Also tell me if i go for nikon or canon then y?
WAITING FOR YOUR REPLIES.. HOPE U PPL HELP ME TO SORT THIS CONFUSION
Punk Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:04 AM   #2

Oooh... a potential Canon v Nikon debate...lol... this should open a can of worms...
The 550/600D are great cameras as are the D3100 and D5100.
Both have a vast collection of accessories/lenses available- so no real problem there.
I guess it comes down to how one or the other feels in the hand- to YOU- and which feels the most logically laid out/has the most intuitive interface...etc...
I've always preferred the Canon system and the way the Canon handles/feels- but that's just me. Many prefer the Nikon system.
Ideally you'll need to get "touchy-feely" with both and see which fits YOU best....

Also I wouldn't discount the ever growing Sony range of camera's- and their accessory line up- or the Pentax system- both manufacturing very capable cameras in their own right- and directly competitive with Canon/Nikon.

The truth is,I don't think there's a "bad" DSLR out there these days- all capable of great results in the right hands.
It comes down to which one fits your needs,feels good to YOU,and has a range of accessories/lenses that you may need in the future.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:41 AM   #3

Nobody makes a bad dSLR, but there are differences that might make one a better dSLR for you.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Hahahahahahah Agree simon40 at can of warms

Actually i read a lot about both brands and model and hell ya now m so much confused that i cant make decision Pro is that i neva use DSLR before so you can i am totally new to this....

@Tcav i am more interesting in normal photo shoot. Like i love to do Candid photography, Nature and some events right now that's it

I have read that Nikon D5100 don't have auto focus motor so i have to Buy AF-S lenses for built in motor in it. But what if i go for Canon 600D and then buy their lens what you suggests whos lenses are more expenses. Coz now m thinking that brand doesn't matter its only a body it all depend on lenses wat you ppl say? So now tell me whos lenses are more expensive???
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:53 PM   #5

Yes, Nikon's entry level models don't have their own AF motor, so you can only use lenses with their own AF motors to get AF. Nikon's AF-S lenses, Sigma's HSM lenses, and almost all Tamron lenses will AF just fine.

For street and event photography, you should get something that goes from wide to medium telephoto. The conventional 18-55 kit lens doesn't go far enough in either direction. Canon's 15-85 ($734), Nikon's 16-85 ($660), Pentax' 17-70/4.0 ($600), Sony's 16-105 ($698) and 16-80 ($998), and Sigma's 17-70/2.8-4.0 ($469)(for any mount) are all good choices, and would be stabilized on their respective bodies. (You might think that the Canon's shorter focal length would give it an advantage at the wide end, but since Canon's APS-C bodies have slightly smaller image sensors than everybody else's, that's not so.) For event photography, you should get a flash as well.

If, by "Nature", you mean Landscape, then any of those lenses should do well. But if, by "Nature", you mean Wildlife, you'll need something longer. Everybody makes some junk in the 70-300 zoom range, and everybody makes some good stuff in that range as well. Tamron's 70-300 Di USD is pretty good, reasonably priced, and available for Canon, Nikon and Sony bodies.

So far, there's no clear reason to get one brand of camera over the others.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:27 PM   #6

hi and welcome I am sure it says it above but if a camera feels right then it goes a long way to being right. go down to a shop and try a few out. remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system works for you. also dont settle for i will get used to it. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 6:17 AM   #7

Thanks soo much alll for your kind replies and time.. I think i made my mind lil bit. As i have read so many comments that Nikon image quality is much better then Canon and Nikon sensor are good from Canon as well. I think these 2 things matter alot in DSLR.. what you frnds says?? if yes then i will definitely go for Nikon.

@wave broo pro is that we dont have any official store here so i cant go and check both cams in my hand... thats the main pro.. Even i go to some shop they dnt have any open sample on which i cant check which one is better thats why i am reading reviews and from ppl experiences.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8

As things stand right this very minute, Nikon's image sensors (which, btw, are made by Sony and used in Sony and Pentax dSLRs as well) are slightly better than Canon's, but not by much and, almost certainly, not for long.

Still, your chocie should come down to lenses and ergonomics. Since you can't easily check ergonomics, that leaves your lens choice. I would give the Nikon 16-85 slightly higher marks than the Sony 16-80, and since that's the range I think you'd need, then I think you should go with a Nikon. The D7000 and the D5100 use the same 16MP image sensor which is very good, so image quality should be the same for either of them. The old D3100 isn't as good, and the new D3200 isn't available yet.