Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Default DSLR for shooting video?

Oh hello! I'm looking for a new camera that can shoot great video. I'll be shooting footage quite close (Around 4-9 inches) away from the lenses) and will also need an external mic jack. Are there any cameras out there that fit the bill for around $1000 or less? I'm very new to this type of thing and have never used a DSLR before. Thank you.
acuriousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's as I see this is your first post here.

I'd give members a better idea of the type of subject you want to shoot and the conditions you want to shoot in for better responses.

For one thing, why would you need to shoot from 4 to 9 inches away? That poses issues of it's own. For one thing, most kit lenses won't be able to focus that close (so, you'd be looking at more specialized macro lenses or adapter setups to get that close).

Trying to shoot from that close also causes problems with lighting (with the lens/camera blocking it and causing shadows, etc. -- not to mention spooking the subjects).

So, it's usually better to shoot from further away with a longer focal length. For example, if you're trying to fill the frame with a subject size several inches across, you may be able to shoot from a foot or so away with a 50mm lens, or get the same framing from a couple of feet away with a 100mm lens, or 4 feet away with a 200mm lens, etc.

I'd give more information on exactly what type of subject you want to shoot and the conditions you're shooting in so that you get better informed responses on what may work better for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3

lessee... the canon t2i has an external mic jack and good video. buy it as a body only and then since the lens dictates how close you can focus, you can choose a lens that does what you need. canon has a good selection of lenses, and sigma and some other brands make lenses for canon, as well.

this lens focuses at almost 4", they say. with the t2i, it'll be a little over your budget, but it has silent focus, good for movies.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-Mac...5889306&sr=1-6

and according to the listing, this lens focuses at 7.4"
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Mac...5889199&sr=1-1

just do some searches and you may find more lenses that fit the bill.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4

I've been looking at the Sony NEX-5N and it seems to be quite formidable. It's also well within my price range. Would you guys say it's worth the jump for a newbie? That autofocus really draws me in.
acuriousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5

If you are mainly looking for video, and you can accept more dof. You might want to look at the panasonic GH2 or GH3. They are what allot heavy video used. Either body and the 14-140HD lens is a great video setup. And you get allot of video control.

For a dslr, the canon's are the class leader in HD video T3i really good video controls, a bit more options the the T2i.

Also video Manual Focus is key, get the clip. Then recompose when you need to focus on a different point. The edit the short together in post production. Allot of work to get great videos. Hope you have a great video editing program.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:14 AM   #6

i'd suggest you handle it first - the nex 5 is quite small, and the nex native lens options aren't too good. do they have a lens you can afford that will focus that close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuriousman View Post
I've been looking at the Sony NEX-5N and it seems to be quite formidable. It's also well within my price range. Would you guys say it's worth the jump for a newbie? That autofocus really draws me in.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote