Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Low light and portable interchangeable lens?

Hi... It is been a while...
Looking once more for your help... I can finally buy my next camera, although i am keeping my T2i.
I need something with the following requirements:
A) more portable and lighter than dslr, would be used as travel and street/take everywhere
B) If it could manage better low light performance.
C) Subjective fun to use.

What would give better low light performce a m4/3 with a fast prime? Or a sony nex with slower lens? (can't afford the zeiss)
Thank you

Maria
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2012, 3:49 PM   #2

Panasonic's G3's low light performance is the best yet from a 4/3 sensor- and the viewfinder would seal the deal for me...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 2:37 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Olympus OM-D.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:35 PM   #4

Actually yes peri'- that's a good call.
A bit pricey- but a very capable camera in low light/at higher iso settings- possibly even better than the G3- and it sure is a looker....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 8:19 PM   #5

i'm really enjoying my G3 - and been using my husband's old FD lenses and CCTV lenses with apertures like 1.4 and 1.7 on it with great results. it's not as small as a compact, but plenty smaller (and lighter) than your t2i.

that being said, i feel the t2i has a slight advantage in low light performance when pics are viewed on a 42" tv, although at high ISO the G3 shines. but there are so many great low light lenses for micro four thirds, many at very reasonable prices, that it makes up for it.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 8:33 PM   #6

Do you need a built in evf? As you said low light. The m4/3 are nice but will not match your t2i. If you want something that has that ISO ability. An aps-c like the nex or nx form Sony and Samsung.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 9:03 PM   #7

Thank you.
I would love a EM-5 but that would blow all my budget leaving nothing for lenses (unless you think It is so much better that it would be best to get it and leave lenses for Christmas).
Shoturtle, i've thought about the nex system but would not the fast lenses of m4/3 negate some of the advantage? Seems not many lenses available for nex.. Or maybe I am missing something?
Tha k you
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8

you can get an adapter for the NEX cameras and the m4/3 cameras so you can use many lens manually. i use canon FD lenses and EF lenses, as well as a variety of c mount lenses on my G3. yes, you have to manually focus them and adjust the aperture manually unless you get one of the more expensive adapters, but the cheap adapters allow a large lens selection.

that being said, i believe that some c mount lenses that don't vignette on a m4/3 camera may vignette on a NEX.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Thank you.
I would love a EM-5 but that would blow all my budget leaving nothing for lenses (unless you think It is so much better that it would be best to get it and leave lenses for Christmas).
Shoturtle, i've thought about the nex system but would not the fast lenses of m4/3 negate some of the advantage? Seems not many lenses available for nex.. Or maybe I am missing something?
Tha k you
Sony nex is lacking on the lenses still, m4/3 and nx have way more develop lens line up currently.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Perhaps the Nikon V1 or Fuji X10?