Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2012, 2:15 PM   #1

Default URGENT! Need around $200 camera for good indoor theater dance shots

I want to buy one today as my daughter's dance show is tonight. if the camera does video that is a bonus but not required. i am so sick of blurry dance shots. also need one that will be good in stage lighting. not blow out the whites and not be too low and yellowy.

thanks!

i need something i can get at best buy or target or whatnot.

steph
Snapaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2012, 4:20 AM   #2

Hi all, well i was surprised to see NO responses to this post! I ended up stopping at Fry's on the way to get her there for the dance show. I ended up with a Sony dsc-hx10v.

Comments on that one? I still cannot seem to get really clear dancing shots even with the higher ISO on burst. They are ok, some are pretty good. Maybe that is jus the nature of action shots? The cam cost me a bit over 300. So I went above my price range.

I don't know what the magic secret is to clear action shots, other than spending 500 on up for a camera?
Snapaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 4:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapaholic View Post
I don't know what the magic secret is to clear action shots, other than spending 500 on up for a camera?
That's it.

You want to photograph action in the dark. For that, you need fast shutter speeds, which cuts down on the amount of light, so you need to let more light in by using a larger aperture, and you need to increase the camera's sensitivity to light by using a higher ISO setting. Only dSLRs can do that well, and even at $500 you won't get very good results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 5:28 PM   #4

This problem has been confronted by many people in this forum. As TCav wrote, there is no cheap current solution. The point and shoot cameras don't do well enough above ISO 800 to get great action shots in dim light.
Even DSLR's with kits lenses don't do great in such a setting. So what can people do? They can either increase their budgets and get DSLR's or EVIL cameras with bigger sensors and F/2.8 or brighter lenses OR they can lower their expectations. I have a Fuji F72exr as a cheap solution and a Sony A55 with a prime F/1.8 as a better, but more expensive solution. Neither is perfect, however.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 9:59 AM   #5

I think I, like a lot of folks, did not reply because we were left speechless by your request for an impossible camera at that price. You have a chance with good technique at doing what you suggest with an Olympus EPM1 at Cameta Camera for $299 with a 14-42 II lens. It's refurbished, but I think at your price range, this is the best you are going to get.

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-Mi...Demo-65958.cfm
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 8:37 PM   #6

wouldn't think that lens would do for a dance recital in a dark theater as the lens is not very fast and will surely have trouble focusing in the dark, especially since the op might not be sitting that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I think I, like a lot of folks, did not reply because we were left speechless by your request for an impossible camera at that price. You have a chance with good technique at doing what you suggest with an Olympus EPM1 at Cameta Camera for $299 with a 14-42 II lens. It's refurbished, but I think at your price range, this is the best you are going to get.

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-Mi...Demo-65958.cfm
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's it.

You want to photograph action in the dark. For that, you need fast shutter speeds, which cuts down on the amount of light, so you need to let more light in by using a larger aperture, and you need to increase the camera's sensitivity to light by using a higher ISO setting. Only dSLRs can do that well, and even at $500 you won't get very good results.
You can pick up a Canon T2i for around $400 here and there, I think Canon's trade in program will get you one for $450. A canon 50mm F1.8 is about $100. Right there is about $550 for a camera that is good in low light. Of course you have to be close to use the 50mm.
GerryDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 11:01 PM   #8

I shoot indoor dance without a flash, 2.8 is not fast enough even at 6400iso at times on a dslr. You will need 1.8 or better primes plus 3200 and 6400 iso and you still will have motion blur. Nothing out there in the price range will work. Love the olympus m4/3 but they will not work for indoor dance with that kit lens unless the stage is super well lite.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryDavid View Post
You can pick up a Canon T2i for around $400 here and there, I think Canon's trade in program will get you one for $450. A canon 50mm F1.8 is about $100. Right there is about $550 for a camera that is good in low light. Of course you have to be close to use the 50mm.
50 1.8 will not focus face enough, and in low light the lens hunts allot to ge an af lock.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:01 AM   #10

With a short focal length, you'll need to be close, and you'll be looking up at the dancers on the stage (not a flattering perspective), and you'll only be able to shoot the dancers right in front of you. If you're off to one side, you won't get good results when shooting the dancers on the other side. Your best bet is to get a longer lens (with a large aperture) and get farther back.

... and that will cost you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote