Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2012, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Help me find a new camera

I am looking to possibly purchase a new camera a "bridge camera". I'm completely lost in all the reviews. I'm not looking to be anywhere near a pro. Currently I have a Panasonic DMC TZ5. Very easy to use and no problems. I just want to update. I think I'm looking for: 30x lense...need to get pictures of birds. Sharp pictures,auto flash, auto most everything...,Panoramic features, because I'm going back to Israel... image stablization, face detection, wide angle, rechargeable battery outside of the camera, long battery life. I don't care at all for the video or HD or anythink along that line. Don't plan on using it at all. I don't want to change lenses either.That LCD scsreen that moves up and down and turns wouldn't be bad. OK...can anybody help me. I'll pay up to $500. I always think I have it until I get to the botton of a review and then it tells me that you can only recharge the battery inside the camera. NOT! Help, Help, Help.
Joshuaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2012, 6:06 PM   #2

The Canon SX40HS might fit your needs...
Tilt/swivel LCD,effective image stabiliser,wide angle 24mm lens,panoramic stitch assist function if that's not wide enough,LONG 840mm (35x) lens,good image quality by bridge camera standards,face detection autofocus- etc....
The Panasonic FZ-150 has much of the above- though a little shorter in the zoom range at 600mm (24x)- however,it is a much faster camera in operation- and would be the better option for those candid,spur of the moment shots,where speed is paramount.
Both of these camera's batteries are charged via a separate charger (supplied)- and both of the above work well in "auto" mode (though,again- the Panny' is faster)
My own SX40 has excellent battery life- and I've heard of no problems with poor battery life on the Panasonic FZ-150.

Other contenders might be the Fuji HS20 (though uses AA batteries),the HS30 which uses a Li-ion battery (better in my opinion),Nikon's P510- though I hope the battery life is improved over the previous P500- and Sony's new HX200v (replaces the older HX100v).

One of the first two would be my choice- however,as reviews are scarce on Sony's latest model- I wouldn't discount it just yet...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 6:21 PM   #3

Simon40...Thank you so much for that fast response. I have a question on the FZ150. Does it have the panoramic feature. I couldn't find it anywhere?
Joshuaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 5:13 AM   #4

Not sure about a panoramic feature- but it does have a 3D feature- here's a quote from the Panasonic website-

"The DMC-FZ150 now features the new 3D Photo mode , which produces a 3D image in the camera. Take 20 panning shots and the camera automatically selects two most suitable images - one for the right eye and one for the left eye - to synthesize a 3D composite. The 3D image can be viewed on a VIERA HDTV or any other 3D TV. The format of 3D image is compatible with MPO which can be played back on other MPO-compatible equipment such as TV, Digital Photo Frame or Printing."

If that is of no interest,you can always take a sweep of horizontally panned images and stitch them on your PC later with an appropriate program- just make sure each image overlaps...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote