Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2012, 4:43 PM   #1
eve

Default Canon 7D versus 60D versus Nikon 7000

I have read about 25 comparisons of these cameras and no one seems to agree. I am looking for a DSLR in this price range. Want to take photography classes and do outdoor shots, particularly portraits. Would also like to do video. I'm hard on equipment so I wanted a metal body, which I gather only the Canon 7D has. (In one review, someone said the Nikon 7000 had a metal body but they were corrected by someone who said it is only partially metal).

Could anyone knowledgeable about these three cameras offer an evaluation of the overall picture quality, durability etc. of these cameras relative to one another? Thanks in advance!
eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2012, 5:06 PM   #2

The 7D is the only true all metal body. The d7000 has couple of metal plates attach to a plastic body.

If HD is important go with the canon. Way better HD system, more developed. d7000 has af for video but it is not accurate allot of times.

For what you stated you are shooting, any of the 3 will work. The 7D is the better sports camera of the 3, follow by the 60D then the d7000. D7000 is hurt by the small buffer for action shooting.

The AF of the 7D is the best of the 3 making it better for tracking action subject, then follow by the 60D then the D7000. While the d7000 has more AF points, it has the same amount of cross type points as the 60D. As in couple of test, the 60D is a tad faster in AF lock.

Durability, I would not say the metal body is better. I have dropped plastic bodies canons. And they are pretty durable. And both metal and plastic will get scratches if drop. What the 7D has over the other 2 is better weather seal. It will take light splashes better. But I would not use it unprotected in heavy rain. And to take advantage of the weather seal, you will need a weather seal lens as well. The L lenses form canon and the high end lenses form nikon.

The d7000 has a little less noise at high iso, at 6400 and 12800. But you have to be careful with the d7000, buy it form a nikion cert shop. It has a oil on sensor issue. That may need to be sent to nikon for repair.

7D and d7000 has micro adjustment for lenses, some like that feature. Others never mess with it. But nice to have if you buy 3rd party lenses or used lenses. Sometimes they have front or back focus issues.

Lenses both brands have a great lens line up, take your pick.

PS

I have a 60D and I travel with it allot, gets bounce around allot. And the plastic body holds up well. Also to prevent scratches, I put a silicone skin around it. Giving it a bit more padding.

So if shooting action is your thing, 7D. But if it is for general photography anyone will do well. HD go with canon.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 6:21 PM   #3

Think you may want to look at the Pentax K-5...very highly rated and yes...it has a metal body.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 7:49 PM   #4
eve

Shoturtle: If went with the 7D, which lenses would you get in the kit to start?
eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 12:52 AM   #5

I would go with either ef 24-105L or ef-s 15-85 if you can budget it. If not and you want canon the 18-135 is a decent lens or a bit short but good, sigma 17-70. But I would go with the 60D and the 24-105L or 15-85. If it fits better for your budget and action shooting in not top priority. The lenses is more important then the body for best image quality. I would always give on the body for the better lens.