Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2012, 5:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito View Post
Have you thought about a bridge camera? I have a Fuji film HS 20 and it does everything I want. The new HS 30 is supposed to be better and is in your price range.
Interesting. What exactly is a bridge camera?

Last edited by cammersvt; May 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM.
cammersvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 5:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They do not want to make a camera to compete against their d5100. The 3000 series are their base models.
Is there a significant difference between the 5100 and the 3200? Enough to justify a beginner to spend the extra money?
Old May 11, 2012, 7:09 PM   #13

Yes, it is a better camera, it has a higher fps rate. It does shot a ev bracket. And there are more bells and whistle, and it is a little better AF system.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammersvt View Post
Interesting. What exactly is a bridge camera?
A bridge camera is a pns camera with more controls. Some have a very long zoom range. Like the HS30, my buddy just brought one, good for outdoor shooting, not the great for action shooting. And the low light results is what you get form a point and shoot, as it has a point and shoot sized sensor.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #15

Agreed it has a small se nsor but I have no problems with night shots. For someone starting out, like me, it gives you the opportunity to try all types of photography without forking out a fortune on lenses. If you want to go further fine, if not you still have a camera that in general will take better photos than a point and shoot because it has more options.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 11:47 AM   #16

Acouple of photos taken by a learner to show what one lens will do. Sorry no action pics, there's no action around here!

Bee orchid taken with macro

Moonrise with flash

Landscape

These are not for comment only to show what can be done. Hopefully I will improve.
Attached Images

My Flickr account
Old May 12, 2012, 1:47 PM   #17

You have not posted a cause low light shot like at a party in poor indoor lighting. That will show the noise levels the sensor produce in high iso low light setting. Also post some crops of the low light high iso shots. That is when it is most visible.
Old May 12, 2012, 4:46 PM   #18

Shoturtle I have done very little with low lighting photography. What I have done is not good. I am well aware that the higher the ISO the more noise there is. This exchange is getting away from the original post. Cammervst has a limited budget and my opinion is that a bridge camera would be a better starting point to learn. A basic dSLR camera is as cheap (and that is what it is, basic) as a good bridge but lenses? There is no such thing as a good cheap lens and what about dust problems on the sensor or having to carry around a bagfull of lenses. Each to their own but whatever camera you buy Cammervst do your own thing and enjoy it

My Flickr account
Old May 12, 2012, 5:55 PM   #19

Thanks for all the input. I think I've settled on either the d3200, 5100 or the Canon 2ti. My big concerns are that I don't believe they are wifi (which I would use) and I also believe they do t have stabilizers. Is the stabilization a big concern if I buy a 200 mm or more lense?
Old May 12, 2012, 6:39 PM   #20

buy a stabilized lens. my son has the t2i kit that came with the standard 18-55 kit lens and also a stabilized 55-250 lens that he uses a lot.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote