Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2012, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Newbie with the same question you've heard a million times...

What camera is recommended? I want to spend no more than $500-600. I want something slightly small/light (dslr, not a point and shoot). It's important for it to have good speed because I'll be taking lots of candids of my kids when they do something funny. We also have kids that dance and play sports, so a good "action" shot would be a plus. A great zoom is important for this very reason, along with good low light and a wider angle.

I've been told that Canon and Nikon are the best options for me, but I don't really know why they say that. I'll probably buy a couple lenses such as better zoom but I don't plan to spend much money of those.

My friend told me he'd recommend the Nikon D3100 because he has the older version of that camera. He doesn't have any real photography experience or knowledge, he just said that becaus eye loves his camera. I'm not sure what to make of this suggestion because of his experience/knowledge (or lack therof) of photography.

Based on this criteria, does anyone have a recommendation that might work for me? I'm very new to this, and I REALLY appreciate and value all the opinions. Thank you!
cammersvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2012, 9:19 PM   #2

I would go with the canon t3 over the d3100. It can shoot a ev bracket. The d3100 does not. Also the af is better as well. For pure entry the canon gives you more.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Are they priced similarly? What does "shoot the ev bracket" mean? What about the lenses. I've heard Nikon has the best cameras to get cheaper lenses and more lenses (old ones) fit them. The Canons aren't as compatible. Is this true?

Are either of these cameras new, or have they been around for awhile. I don't mind buying newer models, but I definitely don't want to by a camera that's been out for too long, and a week after I buy it the manufacture replaces it with a newer model.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4

They are very close in price. If you are looking for decent consumer level lenses, the canon has a slight edge. In lens line up canon has slightly more lenses. Both nikon and canon have good mid grade lenses also.

The t3'is newer then the d3100. The t3 came out mid year 2011.

And ev bracket when you are not sure about exposure, so you set the camera or normal exposť, slightly under and over exposed in a 3 shot burst. Also if you want to get into HDR, you need that feature to shoot on a tripod to stack the images. That is why it give you more ability in a pure entry level camer.

Both comes with decent kit lenses. Good to start out with
Old May 11, 2012, 5:56 AM   #5

You should know that, while the cameras shoturtle mentioned are approximately within your price range. lenses for what you want to shoot will go way past that. For outdoor sports (Soccer, Baseball, etc.) you'll need something like a 70-300 zoom. The least expensive one of those that is adequate for the job is the Tamron 70-300 VC USD, which runs $349 (after a $100 rebate.) For indoor sports (Basketball, Volleyball, etc.) plus dance recitals, you'll need a large aperture telephoto zoom like Tamron's 70-200mm f/2.8 which runs $769.

And neither the D3100 nor the T3 will do very well shooting action indoors.

I think a total budget of "no more than $500-600" is, unfortunately, unrealistic for what you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6

So it appears after doing mroe research on these two cameras, that ther is no real advantage or disadvantage to either. The bottom line seems to be, "hold them and whichever feels better to you, go with that." If this is in fact true, I probably had better hit up best buy to hold some cameras.

I see that there is a step up from the Nilon D3100. I think it was the 5100. It's a bit more money. Would you recommend that one for more money, or is it not worth spending more for that camera?

Also, what's the differences between the Canon 3ti and the 3t other than a large price difference? I have a friend that has a 2ti. They love theirs. Is the 3ti better? Newest upgrade to the 2ti?
Old May 11, 2012, 3:00 PM   #7

T3i is the better camera then the d5100. It does HD much better, and the AF is better. But like tcav said LENSES is what you need. And they are expensive.

Image quality the t2i and t2i is next to identical. The big difference is the added bells and whistle. The swivel lcd which is the highest in the entry dslr class. The better HD setup with the digital zoom. It also has the ability to use the on board flash as a ttl wired flash controller for ttl slave flashes. So if you are getting it for photography main and not to concern about HD or off camera flash. You do not gain much by going to the T3i.
Old May 11, 2012, 3:19 PM   #8

I went to a local store and was able to look at all models. It appears the D3100 and the T3 are out for me. Seems the camera will be too slow in response for me to snap quick photos when my kids are doing something funny. SOOO...where does that leave me? I'm thinking either the D3200 (said it was brand new model) or the Canon T2i. I don't need the dumb swivel LCD in the 3Ti to justify the extra price.

Think I'm making a good decision with either the D3200 or the T2i? IBy the sounds of it, I just need to decide if I want to buy Canon the rest of my life or Nikon...
Old May 11, 2012, 3:27 PM   #9

You are going to pay allot more of the d3200, and it will not be much faster the the d3100. They do not want to make a camera to compete against their d5100. The 3000 series are their base models. They will not make it to much better or add stuff to compete against their higher end models.

The swivel lcd is good for when shooting over a crowd. or setting up a macro or group shot on a tripod.
Old May 11, 2012, 3:38 PM   #10

Have you thought about a bridge camera? I have a Fuji film HS 20 and it does everything I want. The new HS 30 is supposed to be better and is in your price range.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote