Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:45 AM   #21

thanks all

im going for the EP3 .... as i havnt used a tilt screen i guess the plus of it isnt really something i can fathom ...

only seeing other models of mirroless camera being scored ahead of the ep3 still does bother me ...............i just dont get that ...
kl34quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:52 AM   #22

That is a really nice camera. I am sure you will get some great shooting out of it. Which lens are you going with?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:54 AM   #23

the fellow at the store was adamant that the epl3 would performbetter than the ep3 !

i didnt like being pushed into a buy .... so i came back home with no camera .... n feeling back to square one .

now i really dont know which one to get ... is the differnce between the 2 so substainal ?other than the tilt screen (advantage of which i canot fathom as i have never used a tilt screen ) i thought the ep3 was better in all respects , faster autofocus .etc .

the lens avaible is the same for both , the kit lens .. the 14-42 mm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:20 PM   #24

They will preform the same, but the ep3 is the nicer body. They have the same sensor and processor. The ep3 has a built in flash as well. Given the ep3 or epl3' I would pick the ep3 all the time.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:44 AM   #25

The EP3,given the price difference,has a better "feel"- and as mentioned above,has the built in flash. It also has the touch-screen,a brighter Oled screen and can shoot 3d images (for use on 3D TV's) plus a Panoramic shooting feature.
The E-PL3 is smaller and lighter (which may be of benefit...?), has the handy flip out screen,much faster continuous shooting and in many places,considerably cheaper....
I actually prefer the look of the E-PL3- but that's just me.....
Compare the two here....
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepl3
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:56 AM   #26

Simon 40 . the panorama feature u mentiond ... is that like the one in the sony models ?

and the other olympus pen camera do not have this feature ?

thanks for the link .
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:54 AM   #27

kl34quest - the other Pen cameras have the panoramic modes too. It is not like Sony's where the images are stitched together in the camera, on olympus it is a mode that locks the exposure with the first image allowing multiple pictures to be taken with the same exposure. These pictures can then be stitched in the olympus viewer 2 software.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:35 AM   #28

thanks for the info ramcewan

which wud u go for ep3 or epl3 and why ?

i havent had time to get over to the store after my botched effort .
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl34quest View Post
thanks for the info ramcewan

which wud u go for ep3 or epl3 and why ?
personally I'd get the ep3 if price was the same since I know I'd use it with the VF-2 EVF and the touch screen for me is a nice feature although I wish it folded out. But in the end price isn't the same and I would therefore go for the E-PL3 and that is what I would recommend for you.

Here is what I said on page 2 when you asked the same question, again I recommended the E-PL3 for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

e-p3
Pros:
- ergonimcs: hand grip and button position on the back are perfect
- built in flash: these cameras do well without the flash in most situations making it very rarely used - maybe if you shoot alot of indoor family events this will be a big deal
- 614k OLED touch screen - touch to focus release shutter and or navigate

Cons:
- non tilting screen: not an issue if you plan on getting the VF-2 electronic viewfinder
- around $200 more

e-pl3
Pros:
- tilting LCD
- a bit smaller
- around $200 less

Cons:
- no touch screen interface
- clip on flash: for the few times you will use it I think a clip on is acceptable

Based on value and the way you are likely to use it I think I'd get the e-pl3, also if you don't plan on getting an add on electronic viewfinder having the tilt screen will be handy.

I think you will want a zoom lens, as shoturtle suggests the 14-150mm will keep you from having to change lenses and let you get very wide to pretty close. Panasonic also makes the 14-140mm which is also a very good option. Both of these lenses are around $600 so this is not a cheap way to go.

You would save money getting two lenses to cover this range, for instance the 14-42mm kit lens and the Panasonic 45-200mm or one of the package deals that includes the 14-42mm and 45-150mm Olympus lenses.

For example;

http://www.adorama.com/IOMEPL3B14L1....m_source=gbase

However you can get the e-pl3 for $599 with the kit lens and buy the 45-200mm Panasonic separately for the same money. Although the Panasonic is bigger than the Olympus 45-150mm it is in my opinion the better lens because it is longer and includes OIS in case you switch to a Panasonic body at a later point. Here's the 45-200mm for $199 after rebate;

http://www.samys.com/p/Zoom/HFS04520...Lens/5432.html

Last edited by ramcewan; Jun 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:30 PM   #30

I hear the next model of the PEN camera s will be out soon .
DOes anyone else know more abt that ?