Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2012, 7:26 AM   #1

Default ZS15 vs SX240?

Hi. Does anyone know which between the 2 models are better with taking pics indoor at low light? Which has better image quality?
Thanks in advance.
wanderintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2012, 8:57 AM   #2

To be honest- neither are ideal for low light work- faster lenses and/or bigger sensors are better in this regard.
However- they're fine by "compact" standards.
As to differences between the two- at lower sensitivities the Panny' will have slightly more detail- at higher sensitivities the Canon will appear slightly "cleaner"- though to be fair,the differences are slight and you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference at screen size or an A4 print.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 5:46 PM   #3

From the comments and some reviews that I read they are both given good reviews thats why I find it hard to see which one has an edge over the other. Based on specs comparison it seems the ZS15 has more advantages like wider aperture, fast shutter speed etc. The main edge of the sx240 over the ZS15 is it has more zoom and I think the movie mode that captures 24fps (not exactly sure how much difference is this with the ZS15). I am more inclined to pick the ZS15, but it means having to wait a bit more till it's available. So in the meantime I thought of checking out the SX240 if it would be "better" than the ZS15 then I could have it because it's available.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:27 PM   #4

I guess it comes down to which one "feels" best to you and/or suits your needs.
My own thoughts- I prefer the standard flash unit as opposed to a pop up one,and I also prefer the feel and build of the ZS camera's (TZ's here in the UK).
Interestingly,the ZS15 would appear to have slightly better IQ than it's more expensive and higher spec' brother- the ZS20- no doubt in part to the 12mp sensor used in the impressive FZ-150 being utilised by the ZS15.
I'm also impressed by the Panny's speed of autofocus- both in video and still image capture.
I guess you could see which camera I'd choose of the two you mention....!
Here's a couple of reviews to chew over....!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca.../verdict.shtml

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ons-Review.htm
Old May 17, 2012, 7:15 PM   #5

The Canon will likely produce slightly better low light photos because: (1) Panasonic's sensors tend to be noisier than Sony's/Canon's and (2) Canon's NR algorithms are a bit better than Panasonic's (imho .. this is a largely subjective matter). That said, I prefer the sharpness of Panasonic's photos, as Canon's pics are always a little too soft for my tastes (easily fixed in PS but if you want SOOC ...). Also, Panasonic's AF is far, far better than Canon's as SIMON40 alluded to.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6

Simon40, thanks for the links. I am actually leaning towards the Panasonic. It's just because it's not yet available, hence I thought of looking for possible alternatives if there is something 'better'. That's how I came across the Canon SX240. It's so tempting to pick the ZS20 because of the higher zoom, but I value image quality more than zoom. I guess I just have to wait for the Panasonic to become available.

By the way since you mention about flash, I have been wondering if there is such a big difference between standard flash and pop up. I didn't give it much thought as I was thinking perhaps it shouldn't matter as long as there is built in flash in the camera it should be ok.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:52 AM   #7

Basically, the flash on the SX240 is mechanically operated- and I don't just mean the release mechanism- it opens and shuts mechanically- and to be honest,it doesn't inspire confidence- it just feels/sounds a bit weedy..! At least it doesn't pop up on power up like the older versions- just when it's required/needed.