Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2012, 5:31 PM   #1

Default Rainproof DSLR recommendation/comparision?

Hi all,

I have been using my Panasonic FZ-30 for a long long time and now decided to jump into the DSLR world. I am looking to buy a mid-range DSLR.
I live in Seattle, it rains a lot here and I will be shooting outdoor a lot so a rainproof setting is quite important for me.
I am now checking out the Pentax K5 (for obvious reason) and Nikon D7000.
I really like the K5 for it's well proven rainproof ability, and it's comparatively compact body with tons of features. However, I know finding good and economical lens will be comparatively difficult for this camera. Also, I've heard that multiple external flash synchronization will not be as straight forward as on the Nikon.

I am a newbie when it comes to DSLR.
Please help me out here. Which one of these 2 is better for me, or can anyone recommend me something else that is also rainproof?
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2012, 6:49 PM   #2

I would hesitate to call the Nikon D7000 rainproof. From the Nikon D7000 User's Manual:
Quote:
This product is not waterproof, and may malfunction if immersed in water or exposed to high levels of humidity.
If you're serious about this, I'd say your camera choice was limited to teh K-5 and your lens choices were limited to the Pentax WR (water resistant) line.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 7:33 PM   #3

Although not a D-SLR I have been very impressed with my Panasonic Lumix DMC TS3 (their is a TS4 version out now). It has a lot of control over the image settings. I have been using it since mid March and loving it. Used in a heavy snow and heavy rain and it would flawlessly.

I do have the K-5 but not one of the WR lenses and the K-5 is a great camera, but a little pricier compared to other entry-mid level camera on the market. With that said I do feel the price is worth it as it have very low noise at high ISO and with the right memory cards you can get excellent burst captures. It does have some significant issues in using a hotshoe flash and I have ended up having to use a rather old manual flash in the hotshoe..... Also Pentax doesn't offer a huge number of lenses for there camera at this time compared to other companies so see if they have the lenses you are after before you make the dive.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I would hesitate to call the Nikon D7000 rainproof. From the Nikon D7000 User's Manual:

If you're serious about this, I'd say your camera choice was limited to teh K-5 and your lens choices were limited to the Pentax WR (water resistant) line.

I agree.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 12:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Although not a D-SLR I have been very impressed with my Panasonic Lumix DMC TS3 (their is a TS4 version out now). It has a lot of control over the image settings. I have been using it since mid March and loving it. Used in a heavy snow and heavy rain and it would flawlessly.

I do have the K-5 but not one of the WR lenses and the K-5 is a great camera, but a little pricier compared to other entry-mid level camera on the market. With that said I do feel the price is worth it as it have very low noise at high ISO and with the right memory cards you can get excellent burst captures. It does have some significant issues in using a hotshoe flash and I have ended up having to use a rather old manual flash in the hotshoe..... Also Pentax doesn't offer a huge number of lenses for there camera at this time compared to other companies so see if they have the lenses you are after before you make the dive.

dave
I wouldn't classify the K-5 as an entry camera.

I use the Pentax 360 flash,on the K-5's hotshoe with no more difficulties than using my Canon 430 EX 11 flash on my Canon equipment. Both systems work well.

I haven't found Pentax lenses to not be sufficient in either number or type.

I have 9 Pentax digital lenses...ranging from extreme wide angle (12-24), fisheye (10-17), Macro (50 F 2.8), portrait (70mm F 2.4, Limited), telephoto (55-300)....to name a few. They cover the waterfront fairly well, although I would agree that they need to bring out some longer telephotos.

From what I understand, the Pentax road map for new lenses coming out...if I recall correctly, indicates in the future there will be a Pentax 560 mm. This lens is not here yet and I'm the kind of person, who doesn't believe anything till it is here.

But if it does come out...I would say it would cover the extreme telephoto range, that Pentax is deficient in currently...quite well.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 2:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post

dave
Thank you for the heads-up.
Mind sharing a bit more about that K-5 hotshoe problem?
Do you mean it does not work with external flash unit that made for dslr?
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 2:34 AM   #7

Hi heres a view from the very wet nw England there are weather proof bodies and lenses around but at a price. The people I know who do a lot of out door work in the lake district also use water proof covers as well. A point I think you should consider.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote