Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Default A replacement for Olympus C-770

In 2004, I bought my first digital camera which was an Olympus C-770. Since then I have evaluated three cameras as possible replacements Cannon SX 10IS, Cannon SD 4500IS and Olympus SZ 30. None of these give the clarity and sharpness of the C-770 image. My basic test is to photograph the neighbour's house down the road with the camera under evaluation and with the C-770 under exactly the same conditions and see how clearly I can read the number over the door.
Basically, I want a point and shoot with 10X optical zoom about the size and weight of the C-770. However, I do not want to keep running to the store, then having to return the camera because it does not measure up. I'm not a techie, but if I knew what were the characteristics in terms of lens, processor or sensor or whatever to look for to reproduce the superb image quality of the C-770, it would be a help. I still use the C-770 for travel photography, but the downside is the ISO limit of 400.
Any suggestions?
Chancton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2

Interestingly- your C-770's size (not compact by today's standards) enabled it to have a fast F/2.8-3.7 lens which no doubt helped in some regards IQ- an aperture range not available in today's 10x and above "high zoom" compacts- due to their "bijou" proportions and slightly bigger sensors (a tiddly 1/2.7" in the C-770).
A couple which are close in physical size to the C-770 is Olympus's own SP-610 and 620- and Nikon's own L110/120.
Both of those,however,are primarily auto "point and shoots" with few image parameter adjustments- and both run on AA batteries- which may or may not be an issue for you.

In terms of image quality- two decent high zoom compacts are Canon's SX240 (260 if you want GPS) and Panasonic's TZ25 (ZS15 in the USA).
Both have held their resolution back to 12mp and I think it helps in the IQ stakes.
It's much the same story with regards bridge camera's- with Canon's SX40hs and Panasonic's FZ-150 having very good IQ- again with those same 12mp sensors.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 2:07 PM   #3

Default A replacement for Olympus C-770

Thank you for all that helpful info. Simon40. It will give me something to work on. I'll check out the cameras you mention. Do any of the others have different product codes in N.America?
Chancton
Chancton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 2:42 PM   #4

Only the TZ25 (ZS15) differs of the models mentioned..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote