Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2012, 6:03 PM   #1

Default Down to 3 bridge cameras now

All,

Iím having quite a dilemma. I donít know what to go with, the HS30EXR, the P510, or the FZ150.

I am upgrading from a very old FujiFilm 2800 Zoom, that I have used for years. Previous to that was a Minolta film camera XG-M. Also have in the house a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7Ö..hate this one because there is no viewfinder. Iím old school.

I have a weekend job where I take still shots of sports kids with my employers Nikon D200 and D300ís. Kind of a fun gig.

I would dearly love to go with a high end Nikon Dslr but donít have the funds.

So I have narrowed it to the HS30EXRÖ..not sure if I have favoritism here because of current camera. I like to take close ups and use the macro feature a lot.

OR: the P510ÖÖmy familiarity with Nikons led me to this one to see its specs, from what I see it mostly beats out the HS30EXR.

OR: Recently checked the FZ150 and read where it takes extremely sharp pictures with no noise thru a wide spread of ISOís.

In my mind:

HS30EXR: raw, hotshoe, big zoom (though I doubt I would use zoom more that macro), noise at higher ISOís

P510: no raw, no hotshoe, supposed to be sharper at higher ISOís than the HS30EXR, biggest zoom

FZ150: raw, hotshoe, very sharp thru multiple ISOís, smallest zoom

Need sharpness from macro to closeup to fair amount of zoom, need good true color, need low light capabilities.

Which one is best in low light and from what Iíve said above which one to you think is my next camera?

Hope I havenít been too wordy.

Thank you,
pkd7423

Oh boyÖ.now Iím hearing the FZ150 is discontinuedÖÖÖ

PKD
pkd7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2012, 5:10 AM   #2

If I read that correctly- it is YOU using your employers D200/300..?

Trying to capture sports with a bridge camera is a difficult game (no pun intended)... especially after using two FAST DSLR's...!!

Autofocus speed is of paramount importance here- and in that regard it's the Panasonic all the way. In addition- a very fast 12fps burst mode and a 5.5fps with autofocus on each frame- the Panny' is the speed king.
However factor in the compositional difficulties with a zoom lever and moving subjects- as opposed to a twist/barrel zoom- and then the Fuji starts to make sense.
In other words,the Panny's super fast- but you may spend time composing the subject- as opposed to the instant "twist zoom" composition of the Fuji.
If (and it's a big IF) the Fuji's AF speed is reasonable (and with past versions it was SLOW) then for outdoor sports this would be the way to go of the three camera's mentioned.
Here's a few shots I took with an SX40hs at a football game- and after literally guessing where the players were going to be- I wished I had a manual zoom....and a faster AF...!!
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...-athletic.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 9:33 AM   #3

Simon40,

Thanks for the reply!

It is me using the employers cameras for the weekend sports gig. They are still shots, composed for coffee table prints.

I won't be using the camera I want to purchase for this job, sorry for the confusion.

I need one for my personal use. A lot of macro, regular shots mostly people, not too much zoom. Vacation type stuff, probably a lot of low light scenarios. I like crisp, clean, well focused shots with deep color.

Which camera of the 3 do you think would be best in low light?

and.....anybody know where the FZ150 is in stock?

any possible Memorial Day sales????

I live in Houston, and am not opposed to going to a brick and mortar store.

Thanks,

PKD7423

PKD
Old May 25, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4

none of those cameras will be best in low light, and i'm curious - you say "not too much zoom", yet all the cameras you're considering are megazoom cameras, and you say you want good quality low light pics, yet all megazoom cameras have small sensors.

i got rid of my fz150, which to me would be the pick of the 3 you've listed, and went back to micro4/3. why? because those bigger sensors mean better low light performance, cleaner photos and i found that in some cases the EVFs are more responsive. all the m43 cameras shoot raw and have a hot shoe. like a dslr, the lenses aren't as light or versatile as a megazoom/bridge camera, but they are better quality and there are some nice ones available.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5

pcake,

Thanks for the response!

Of the 3 in your opinion which would be best in low light?

Its funny that you say that about megazoom....I guess youre right. I guess I say "not too much zoom" because I can rule out the P510 because it has the most zoom. That stat isnt the most weighted in my selection, so I don't have to go P510 because it is the biggest.

In fact, I would use the low end of the zoom spectrum more, including macro more.

I guess when I say low light, I mean I would like sharpness (no noise introduced) when I go up in ISO levels.

Thanks,

PKD7423

PKD
Old May 25, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6

you aren't going to get sharpness or no introduced noise on a small sensor camera in low light. i've seen some handheld night mode pics from both the canon sx40 and the panasonic fz150, but in real life use, i couldn't get either to deliver the quality of results i see in reviews. that being said, i chose the fz150 because it was the best of the megazooms, and i still feel it is. but ultimately in lower light or at higher ISO or both, i didn't find that even the best delivered as well as a micro 4/3 camera, much less a decent dslr.

if you must have a megazoom, and out of the 3 cameras you listed, the fz150 is - in my humble opinion - definitely the best of the bunch.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:56 AM   #7

In my humble opinion- the FZ-150 is the best "all rounder".
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 7:41 PM   #8

I, too, would go for the FZ150. I have the FZ47, and if it hadn't been less than half the price of the FZ150 last November, I would have gotten it then.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 8:07 PM   #9

Please don't discount the P510, I find it very good for macro, its colours are great, with flower shots always being worth a look, the zoom is useful at all lengths with stabilisation that works a treat.
I find the reported negatives are a non-issue, its battery life is fine and though I've never exhausted one on a field trip, a spare is cheap and easily carried. I see lack of RAW as a positive, Nikon do a great job processing the JPGs, saving the average jobber the effort of doing a lot of work to achieve a result that's no better, leave the RAW for the next level of camera.
I don't think a lack of hotshoe is an issue for a superzoom.
The high ISO performance isn't terrible but you can't expect large sensor performance (yet), however with 16 megapixels there's plenty of room for resizing, and with most uses being for web stuff even a noisy shot will look great resized.
Check online to see what users of the P510 think, the FZ150 is good but the P510 is also good, plus has that bit more zoom.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 9:22 PM   #10

thank you all,

for the responses. I am going with the fz150.

This thread pushed me over the edge:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...0-theater.html

Also the hotshoe and remote camera release options: as well as all the other options you can attach to a hotshoe.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=41604441

now if I can just find one this weekend on sale and IN STOCK.....any suggestions?

Thank you,

PKD7423

PKD