Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2012, 3:33 AM   #1

Default Which TravelZoom digicam? Panasonic ZS20/TZ30 or Sony HX9V?

I am on the lookout for a compact travel zoom. After looking at few reviews, I am torn between these 2 models - Panasonic ZS20/TZ30 and the Sony HX9V. The place where I belong to, the Sony HX9V is around 50 US$ cheaper than the TZ30 as its an old EOL Sony model.

I know they have released a new HX10V but that's a step backwards from Sony. And although canon's SX240HS is slightly better in image quality, I am not impressed by its feature set. Mainly the lack of good video, in-camera HDR and other features for a travel zoom. So I have taken that out of the equation.

Which one should I opt for - Panasonic ZS20/TZ30 or the Sony HX9V ?

Last edited by whatsinaname; May 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM.
whatsinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2012, 5:12 AM   #2

I personally prefer the Panny's simply because of the inclusion of shutter and aperture priority modes- which I find very useful- but of course,may be of no significance to you..!
If you don't mind losing a bit of zoom and a couple of toys- maybe consider the ZS15 also- which has the same sensor as the excellent FZ-150 and arguably produces better IQ than its bigger brother,the ZS25.
All said and done,though- given what these types of camera's are designed for- I'm sure either would do just fine- both capable of good snaps across a wide range of shooting scenarios- and both with excellent video capture.
Of course,Sony also has the HX30V and maybe the higher spec' Canon SX260 (over the 240) may be worth consideration also..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 2:37 PM   #3

How about throwing HX20V in the list? Is that a good cam and recommended over the HX9V and Zs20?
whatsinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 5:44 PM   #4

Indeed- why not throw the HX20v into the mix....
I think all of the above mentioned do what they set out to- all being versatile "all rounders" as typical of the Travel Zoom compacts.
I think the differences in IQ are negligible- and maybe one models particular spec' sheet may swing it for you....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote