Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Overwhelmed by options, need some help understanding / choosing

Please bare with me through this... I'm looking to upgrade from my Canon SD870 IS. I like the IQ of the SD870. I am happy with it- its just old and I was hoping to get something newer and I was *hoping* for more zoom although I'm starting to see that that may not be the best option...

I take photos generally of my dogs, and my one year old. Sometimes inside, mostly outside. I understand the compromises of inside / bad light / etc. I'm fairly happy with the IQ of SD870 inside, so as long as its not worse than that thats fine. (I print occassionally 8x10 photos, mostly just full screen view on my ipad / laptop).

I purchased (mistake) the Samsung WB150F b/c I loved the idea of wifi and the 18x zoom. But even outside the photos kind of stink (blurry! really soft focus, just NOT the quality I got with the SD870). So I am going to return it.

I am not sure where to go next- my previous cameras have always been Canon SD models. I like the Elph 320... but I was wondering if a megazoom OR a bridge camera would be better?

I'd love to get better photos than I do now, and I find the most limiting thing of the SD870 is the zoom... BUT I've read that megazoom's IQ isn't as good... are there any that would hold up to the IQ of the SD870?

I honestly don't have the time to learn too many manual controls, I play with the basics but outside of that, since the dogs and kids are always moving, I need something that can focus fast, and not be blurred especially when outside in sunlight. I was told a bridge camera may not be the best then- because I'd have to get a lot more practice focusing and the like? I just assumed bigger camera = better photos but I maybe not so much if I need speed?

So speed, shutter lag, and time between photos is priority (the samsung failed IMO there) and IQ (no point in taking photos if they are not any good). If I could have that with a decent zoom it'd be awesome.

Suggestions?
Ruffian829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2012, 5:55 PM   #2

If you want some more zoom,with fast response,good IQ in compact terms and a very good "iA" auto point and shoot mode- you could do far worse than Panasonic's TZ25 (ZS15 in the US).
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pa...m-review-18625
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 6:25 PM   #3

That is actually what I was just looking at and thinking I would run to BestBuy tomorrow to see if they have them there... I was also thinking Panasonic FZ150 if I end up going for a fixed lens, bridge camera?
I liked the Canon SX240 but reviews have said it was slow and that may make it not worth it.
How do you think the TZ25 measures to the SX360 in terms of IQ? And both of them vs the SD870?

Last edited by Ruffian829; May 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 6:34 PM   #4

Default Perfect Timing

I have managed to go through 2 Canon SD870is cameras and have been generally pleased with them. Unfortunately neither of them proved to be especially durable. Many of the pictures I take are under somewhat harsh conditions and the cameras have taken a beating. Not that I want a camera built like a tank, but I take photos often in an climate of sawdust, chemicals and other things associated with restoring old racing boats. Since most of the shots are taken indoors a faster lens might be nice, though not totally necessary.

The things I like about the SD870is include the large LCD screen (though for some reason on both cameras I get "spots" that make me wonder if I left the camera in direct sunlight too long).

I love the size and the image stability. No real need for more MP, but the flash seems unable to "keep up" with use of the zoom at long lengths. There are also a number of features I don't think I've ever used, but since I've never used them I can't remember what they are.

I've been considering getting an SLR, but it's not as convenient to carry around in my pocket.

I'd buy another SD870is in a heartbeat, but I've been using them for over 3 years and am wondering if there's something with equal performance I should consider.

Help
last901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 6:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian829 View Post
That is actually what I was just looking at and thinking I would run to BestBuy tomorrow to see if they have them there... I was also thinking Panasonic FZ150 if I end up going for a fixed lens, bridge camera?
I liked the Canon SX240 but reviews have said it was slow and that may make it not worth it.
How do you think the TZ25 measures to the SX360 in terms of IQ?
Hi I have FZ 150, 20 months old and a dog. I found Fz 150 more than enough for that kind of pictures, and the camera is more than adequate in my opinion.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...y-weekend.html

There are few pictures I took while my litle girl was moving ( i have much more) asnn as you can see it looks ok.( they were taken in the AI mode as I am still learning the camera and all the bells and whistles)

Regards Greg
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 7:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistwalker1006 View Post
Hi I have FZ 150, 20 months old and a dog. I found Fz 150 more than enough for that kind of pictures, and the camera is more than adequate in my opinion.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...y-weekend.html

There are few pictures I took while my litle girl was moving ( i have much more) asnn as you can see it looks ok.( they were taken in the AI mode as I am still learning the camera and all the bells and whistles)

Regards Greg
Greg, thanks for sharing the photos. The duck on the water was really great (and your little girl is super cute!) this is making me lean much more towards the FZ150...

I know the travel zoom and the bridge cameras are not all that comparable I'm having a really hard time making up my mind on which way to go... But I also (thankfully) still have a working Sd870...

I wish more of them had wifi. I did love that about the Samsung...
Old May 27, 2012, 9:20 PM   #7

i'd say the fz150 is one of the more versatile cameras out there. lots of more advanced options for those who want 'em, but does well on program or auto, too.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 9:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian829 View Post
Greg, thanks for sharing the photos. The duck on the water was really great (and your little girl is super cute!) this is making me lean much more towards the FZ150...

I know the travel zoom and the bridge cameras are not all that comparable I'm having a really hard time making up my mind on which way to go... But I also (thankfully) still have a working Sd870...

I wish more of them had wifi. I did love that about the Samsung...
you are welcome,
If you consider FZ 150 you should consider also Canon SX40 HS which is very good camera in the same class that FZ 150, they almost identical in preformance where FZ 150 edging slightly SX 40 HS in same areas and lacking in other but is slightly less expensive. And I forgot to add vodeo HD is amazing.

Regards, Greg.
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #9

I currently own the SX40- and am generally happy with it.
I wouldn't call it a slow camera- but there's no doubt the Panny' FZ-150 is quicker in all areas- autofocus,burst,shot to shot etc.... so may be the camera of choice for fidgety/moving subjects...
Much the same can be said of the "TZ" (ZS) range also- speedy operators....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote