Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
or it would be better something like a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX??
That is also a nice lens to play around with.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That is also a nice lens to play around with.
If you have to chose one of them, which would be your choice?
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 12:20 PM   #13

I have a 50/1.8, but I don't use it much. I generally prefer longer lenses like my 85/1.8. I probably wouldn't use the 35/1.8 very much either.

So I can't help you there.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Nikon D7000 is wearther sealed?
Not to the level you'd get with something like a Pentax K-5. But, it looks like Nikon is probably using o-rings, gaskets and and such around some of the switches, buttons and critical areas (although they don't go into any detail as to exactly what they do):

See this page:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...ures03.htm#f01

"Furthermore, connected parts and various points are securely sealed, achieving superior weather-resistant and dust prevention performance."

But, do something like this at your own risk (and I would definitely not try dunking the camera in water). ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFTxF8VxXag
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 2:15 PM   #15

From the Nikon D7000 Users Manual:

Quote:
Keep dry: This product is not waterproof, and may malfunction if immersed in water or exposed to high levels of humidity. Rusting of the internal mechanism can cause irreparable damage.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:35 PM   #16

As mentioned before, I won't use the camera in extreme environments most of the time, but it is good to have this plus.
Obviously it has a cost...
Old May 31, 2012, 6:57 PM   #17

Hi, fellow Argentinian
I know what you're going through. I went through it last year when I got my first DSLR too. I also bought it online and had a relative who lives in the US bring it here (Buenos Aires). Sure, I did forgo the warranty, but the price difference is so big (60%+) that I thought it worthwhile. Also, in BA there are some official camera stores so I was able to visit a couple of them and actually see and hold the cameras before my purchase (online). The official stores' prices are so outrageous that I didn't feel bad at all for doing that.
Anyway, while both Pentax and Sony have a good lineup of DSLRs, I'd suggest you get either a Canon or a Nikon, since those two brands are the most common in our country. Therefore, everything from repairs, parts, accessories, lenses, etc. is going to be much easier to get with one of those two brands.
I eventually bought a Canon Rebel T2i with the kit lens (18-55) and the 50 mm 1.8 prime, my budget didn't allow for more. If you go the Canon route, do get the 50 mm 1.8 lens regardless of which "primary" lens/es you get. The 50 mm 1.8 is very cheap and has a great image quality for the price.
Since this is your first DSLR, I agree with the previous comments that told you pay more attention to the lenses than the body. I'd start with a Canon T3i or Nikon 3200/5100 and a couple of lenses. Personally, I think that the Canon T3i + 18-55 + 55-250 + 50 1.8 is a very nice set that you can get for under $ 1000 in the US. Another option would be to get the 18-135 instead of the 18-55 and the 18-250. The IQ would be (very?) slightly worse, but you won't need to change lenses.

just my 2 centavos
city_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:28 AM   #18

hi one thing i would do is go and get a short list and try them see how they feel. when you get a DSLR you buy into system so make sure that system fits your needs. you have a canon already so you are used to that system but as you are starting out you could go to another make. Tcav has suggested a couple of combos and as a canon shooter i would agree the T3i/600d with the 55-250 and 18-88 is a good starting point add aan external flash like a nissin di622mk2 and a 50 1.8 and thats you set up for a long time. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:10 AM   #19

I have some friends in New Zealand, and they are coming to Argentina for summer holidays...

I find this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-534353289.htm

That is nzd 1600, around usd 1300...for a T4i + 18-55 / 55-250 / 50 f1.8...

Seems to be a good option...isn't it?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:36 AM   #20

Starting Price: $1,590.00
Buy Now: $1,599

Yes, that's a nice kit.

The 55-250 was only ever a stabilized (IS) lens, but the 18-55 originally came out in an unstabilized version, and this ad doesn't say which one comes with it. If this comes with the IS lens, and the price is good, go for it. But if it comes with the older unstabilized lens, find out how much extra you'll need to pay in order to get the IS lens instead, or in addition to the older one. The UNSTABILIZED 18-55 was pretty bad.

BTW, if you don't buy it in your home country, you may have trouble getting warranty service.