Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2012, 7:55 AM   #1

Default Advice for newbie choosing dSLR

I'm searching for options, because I want to buy my first dSLR camera.
I actually own a Canon G11, I'm very happy with it, but besides I haven't mastered it yet, I want to go one step forward.

I want a dSLR, mainly an entry level one. I will do a little of everything: portrait (indoor & outdoor), landscapes...a few sports photo (my son plays basketball, and want to have some good pics...but this will not be the main usage of the camera...so I won't buy any specific stuff & gear for this). I also really enjoy macro photo of insects & flowers, but again, it is not my first desire (but more important than sports photo).

I'm from Argentina, and here, economic situation is not easy, as it is also not easy to find/buy a dSLR. So I want to buy a camera that would last me for years, without needing to upgrade it in the near future.

Taking a look to Nikon's and Canon's line-ups, I can make a shortlist with the following models:
- Canon T3i / 600D
- Canon 60D
- Nikon D3200
- Nikon D5100
- Nikon D7000

I want to check if it is worth the extra money to get the 60D or D7000 for example.

Concerning lens, right now I want to start buying a versatile glass...an "all-purpose" one. Later I will start buying specific lens.
Anyway, what would you suggest?
For Canon: 18-55? 18-135? 18-55 + 55-250/70-300/75-300? Other two lens "kit"? EF 50 f1.8?
For Nikon: 18-55? 18-105? 18-55 + 55-200/55-300/70-300? 50 f1.8 or any pancake? VR or not?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/All-Lenses/index.page

I have to learn a lot about lens...!!!

Budget:
- Upper limit: around u$s 1500
- Preferred: around u$s 1000 (lowest as possible...)

So, considering this introduction, I will really thank you a lot for your advice/comments/suggestions.
If you want to add other brand, other model, other lenses…welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Eugenio
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2

Learn about lenses before you learn about cameras. Pick the brand of camera you want based on which lens(es) you want.

Don't go looking for a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens. They can do lots of things but they don't do any of them well.

From the lenses you mentioned, I suggest you stay away from the Canon 75-300, and the Nikon 55-200 and 55-300.

The Canon 18-55 & 55-250 are a good, inexpensive pair to start with. The Nikon 18-55 & 70-300 also work well for general purpose photography.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 2:05 PM   #3

Thanks TCav for your comments.

Any suggestions about the cameras?
Old May 28, 2012, 2:21 PM   #4

From what you say you want to shoot, I'd say that any of the ones you mentioned shoudl do well. Can you get to a good camera store where you can try out the different models? How a dSLR feels in your hands is as important as anything else.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:41 AM   #5

MMM...it is quite impossible to go to a store where I can pick all these models to test how they feel! At least here in my town (besides it has a population of around 350.000, there is not a good photography store).

So what i'm doing now is checking the different models' specs and reviews, and comments from experienced users, like you.

So I want to check if it would be justified to spend some extra money to go with the D7000 ot the 60D (which is the Best Pick within those 2?) or if I can go with some of the other 3 (D3200, D5100 or 600D?)?

Besides dSLR's build quality is at least very good...which of those models are better concerning this?
Besides I do that onle once a year (or twice, maybe for 30 total days in a year), I go out on holidays to the southern lakes, with rainy andhigh humidity climate, and to the beach (windy and a bit sandy)...which models are well isolated?

Concerning lens, I take yor suggestion TCav.
Do you recommend to also add the 50mm f1.8 to the 2 lens kit, to the starting gear to last an interesting period of time without upgrades?

I keep searching for info and comments.

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2012, 8:55 AM   #6

other camera manufaturers to consider? Pentax?

I started seeking for Canon and Nikon as they are to most popular, and the easier to get here (besides I will probably ask a relative to buy the camera abroad, in the USA or NZ).

Big hug!
Old May 30, 2012, 9:12 AM   #7

The Pentax K5 is "weather resistant", but the Sony A77 is also well sealed against the environment. Unfortunately, most lenses are not.

As far as image quality goes, I'd say that Nikon, Pentax and Sony (which all use, primarily, Sony sensors) have a very slight edge over Canon (which makes its own.)

As far as build quality goes, that correlates directly with price.

Yes, a 50/1.8 is an interesting and fun lens. Pentax doesn't have one, unfortunately, but Canon, Nikon and Sony do.

When you buy a camera in another country, the warranty isn't valid in your home country. You may save some money, but cameras are getting more and more complicated, so foregoing a warranty is a big gamble.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:32 AM   #8

Yes, you are right about warranty, but for example, a Canon 600D/T3i with 18-55 + 55-200 mm lens is around u$s2000 in most of the "official" stores that will give you a warranty over the camera.

Nikon D7000 is wearther sealed?
Old May 30, 2012, 9:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Do you recommend to also add the 50mm f1.8 to the 2 lens kit, to the starting gear to last an interesting period of time without upgrades?
or it would be better something like a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX??
Old May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Nikon D7000 is wearther sealed?
No, it is not.