Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Default FZ150 or GF3

I hope its ok to post this in a new thread...
I had pretty much decided on the FZ150 (for photos mostly of my two dogs and my one year old, to upgrade from my Canon point and shoot (SD870) mostly "action" shots but not fast sports shots, etc) and then I was introduced to the mirrorless cameras and I am still trying to figure out all the different brands / models... I am totally confused on the differences in some of the panasonic's and haven't hardly ventured into the Sony's or whatnot...
But I like the look and reviews of the GF3, and as it is said to have faster AF that is HUGE because my son is always on the move, as well as the dogs, I hate losing a shot b/c of slow auto focusing.
So which would be better for these needs? And, which lens would be good for the GF3 if that is the way to go? Just the stock / kit lens (14mm I think) or should I consider a different one?
(totally open to recommendations on other mirrorless cameras as well)

Thank you all again, you've been such a big help thus far.
Ruffian829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2012, 1:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian829 View Post
I hope its ok to post this in a new thread...
I had pretty much decided on the FZ150 (for photos mostly of my two dogs and my one year old, to upgrade from my Canon point and shoot (SD870) mostly "action" shots but not fast sports shots, etc) and then I was introduced to the mirrorless cameras and I am still trying to figure out all the different brands / models... I am totally confused on the differences in some of the panasonic's and haven't hardly ventured into the Sony's or whatnot...
But I like the look and reviews of the GF3, and as it is said to have faster AF that is HUGE because my son is always on the move, as well as the dogs, I hate losing a shot b/c of slow auto focusing.
So which would be better for these needs? And, which lens would be good for the GF3 if that is the way to go? Just the stock / kit lens (14mm I think) or should I consider a different one?
(totally open to recommendations on other mirrorless cameras as well)

Thank you all again, you've been such a big help thus far.
hi I cannot comment on GF3, but not long ago I had a similar dilemma and for me personally deciding factor was ... If we go on an outing with my daughter and the dog and I would like to take some pictures would I like to carry :
1, water for the dog,
2, diper bag,
3, camera bag with lenses
4, camera,
5 and any other thing I may need it.
and the answer was I do not.
Since primary reason for the camera was taking pictures of my litle girl and not worry about changing lanses for different type of shot I went with FZ 150.
I hope that's helps you a litle,

Greg
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 3:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistwalker1006 View Post
hi I cannot comment on GF3, but not long ago I had a similar dilemma and for me personally deciding factor was ... If we go on an outing with my daughter and the dog and I would like to take some pictures would I like to carry :
1, water for the dog,
2, diper bag,
3, camera bag with lenses
4, camera,
5 and any other thing I may need it.
and the answer was I do not.
Since primary reason for the camera was taking pictures of my litle girl and not worry about changing lanses for different type of shot I went with FZ 150.
I hope that's helps you a litle,

Greg
Thank you again Greg!
Old May 28, 2012, 4:42 PM   #4

You won't be wanting for speed on the FZ-150- it's a nifty performer in all areas- autofocus,shot to shot,burst,burst WITH autofocus... etc.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 5:02 PM   #5

I think I am set on the FZ150 now now just trying to find it for a decent price... My husband want me to get a used one but I'm not totally on board with that yet...
Old May 30, 2012, 6:20 AM   #6

Used ones don't come with a warranty that are typically limited to the "original owner." Shops selling used at a price moderately below used typically offer a 3rd party warranty...which take the total price back up to new.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Used ones don't come with a warranty that are typically limited to the "original owner." Shops selling used at a price moderately below used typically offer a 3rd party warranty...which take the total price back up to new.
Good info, thanks. Ordered new off of amazon