Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2012, 2:22 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
The difference between 35mm (or full frame), a APS-C, MFT and even point and shoot is more akin to the size of the window you look out of, the window being biggest on 35mm (full frame), then APS-C....
Full Frame compared to what? ;-)

Again, the only reason we even need the multipliers is because 35mm film cameras have been so popular. If you're using a camera with a larger sensor or film size (for example a 645 format model), you're going to have a wider angle of view for a given focal length lens compared to the same focal length on a 35mm camera.

So, you'd have to multiple the focal length of a lens used on a 35mm camera by approx. 1.7x (even if the image circle of the lens you're using was designed to cover a 35mm film size so that you're not cropping anything) to see what focal length would give you the same angle of view on a 645 format camera (and you have much larger film sizes, too).

But, I don't use the use the term "1.7x crop" for lenses used on a 35mm camera (even though I'd need to multiply the focal length of a lens used on a 35mm camera by 1.7x to see what focal length would give me the same angle of view on a 645 format camera).

From my point of view, using the term apparent magnification makes it easier for users to understand the differences in angle of view between various formats for a given focal length lens, since it's not really a crop unless you're comparing it to a larger film or sensor size. That's because the larger the film or sensor size, the wider the angle of view for a given focal length lens (and the smaller the film or sensor size, the narrower the angle of view for a given focal length lens).

Otherwise, sometimes camera users become confused and think that if they buy a lens designed specifically for a given format (a.k.a., sensor or film size) then the same multipliers do not apply when comparing angle of view for a given focal length lens (when you still have to use them if you want to compare angle of view differences between different formats, even if you're not using lenses with image circles designed to cover a larger film or sensor size).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote