Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2012, 6:29 AM   #11

maybe worth checking out the canon sx150, $150 on amazon. decent 12x stabilized zoom lens, full PASM and auto modes, video, etc. for the price there's gonna be compromises, and i think this is a pretty good camera for the money. the e-pl1 will have better quality pics in all but good light, but i found it to be a bit clunky, and the lens you can afford is only 3x zoom and will still go over the original budget.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'd suggest getting some high quality,high capacity li-ion re-chargeables.
are these different than the ni-mh batteries?
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:27 AM   #13

Any complaints about the GE X500 16MP camera? I can't find a review here on Steve's site.

Old May 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
maybe worth checking out the canon sx150, $150 on amazon. decent 12x stabilized zoom lens, full PASM and auto modes, video, etc. for the price there's gonna be compromises, and i think this is a pretty good camera for the money. the e-pl1 will have better quality pics in all but good light, but i found it to be a bit clunky, and the lens you can afford is only 3x zoom and will still go over the original budget.
We also found this one, and I thought it was a good one as well. But my son has his eye on that GE X500. Any thoughts on the differences?
Old May 31, 2012, 1:02 PM   #15

auntnelly- sorry,I meant ni-mh.... brain freeze,lol...
With any AA powered high drain device (such as a digicam) a good quality,high capacity is advisable for decent life.
With regards the GE X500....
here's a review...
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...ag=mncol;lst;1

Last edited by SIMON40; May 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 1:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
We also found this one, and I thought it was a good one as well. But my son has his eye on that GE X500. Any thoughts on the differences?
Honestly GE is not known for making cameras, if you go to amazon and read some of the reviews of the GE X500 (particularly the "most helpful critical review") you will get a sense that this camera is not really comparable to a Nikon or a Canon or an Olympus or any of the long time camera makers. I would not recommend it.

I also would not recommend the sx150 from Canon, although I like Canon's point and shoots, having owned a few, I find the point and shoot category is really pointless given the capabilities of current generation smartphones and ipod touch devices.

He should ask himself this;

Does he want a camera that will be expandable?
Does he want a camera which will work well in low light without a flash?

Buying a camera like the E-PL1 gives you a platform to add more lenses later as your needs progress. This is great for someone with less budget as they can add items over time.

If either of these questions are yes then the E-PL1 is the best choice. The bigger sensor over a point and shoot camera will provide significantly better image quality and you will be able to take pictures in low light because of the bigger sensor size.

If the need is really a camera that is going to work for a few years and take decent out door shots with a big zoom but not be so great indoors then a super zoom point and shoot is what he needs. If this is the case then the Canon sx150 or FujiFilm FinePix S2950 are probably the best you can get in your price range.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:05 PM   #17

Thanks for all the tips!! I will certainly pass them on to my son as he decides what to do.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
no problem providing help.

I will definitely warn you that there are sites that popup regularly that offer up camera equipment for too good to be true prices, so if you come across a price that is too good to be true then most likely it is. A pretty complete list of reputable sites can be found by clicking the "Hot Deals" tab at the top of the page and then looking along the left side at the list of retailers, often times there could be a coupon too.

best of luck!
I have never used Buy.com but I see a good price on a camera my son wants. Unless we hear of another before we order, I think he is looking at the Fujfilm finePix S2950. He has changed his mind a few times....it's a jungle out there!

Any how...There are mixed reviews of the buy.com store.

Any thoughts from you all?
Old May 31, 2012, 4:25 PM   #19

I have purchased multiple items from buy.com without any issues.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:58 AM   #20

here's a good deal on a super zoom pns

https://us.buyolympus.com/special-of...nditioned.html

p.s. I was looking for refurbished lenses when I came across this.

Last edited by ramcewan; Jun 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote