Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2012, 7:50 AM   #1

Default Good camera for around $150

I am trying to help my son purchase his first camera. He has at the most $150 to spend, and every camera we find has some really horrible reviews.

I realize for that price, we can't get perfection, but we don't want a lemon either. If the reviews have a consistent problem noted over numerous reviews, I take it as legitimate.

He isn't concerned so much on size, and wants something that takes high quality photos, and is dependable not to break right away since he wont' be able to replace it. He also wants a good zoom.

A decent flash would be nice, of course, and if the shipping is fast, he might be able to save a bit more before he has to have it by June 12th.

Any suggestions ?
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2012, 8:42 AM   #2

Your budget is obviously limiting,given that you want high quality photos AND a good zoom.
Inevitably,a compromise is required- and maybe Canon's SX150is may be that....
Decent zoom range,useful "auto" mode with full manual controls to grow into,a pretty decent video mode(with zoom),good macro mode etc.
The only fly in the ointment,for me,is the need for AA batteries- however,some prefer this- as they're readily available anywhere,should you get caught short.
I'd suggest getting some high quality,high capacity re-chargeables.
The flash I like on this model- as you simply lift it up when you want it,and leave it down when you don't- simple..! The flash output is also adjustable.

A pretty decent bang for your buck,I think...

Last edited by SIMON40; May 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 8:44 AM   #3

as close as I can get is the Olympus E-PL1, body can be had for $149 new, $129 refurbished or around $100 used on ebay add a Panasonic Lumix H-FS014042E 14-42mm which be purchased for $65-$75 on ebay and you're good to go with room for expansion.

This would make a nice starter kit for around $150 that would be pretty sturdy and have good IQ.

Last edited by ramcewan; May 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4

I will look into these cameras. Is there any issues with the AA batteries? Do they have a shorter battery life?

I don't know how happy he would be with a refurbished or not. I don't know about getting one that is used, but he is limited with the money. He may have a little more saved up by the end of the week. Would that help at all if he could spend $200?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
I will look into these cameras. Is there any issues with the AA batteries? Do they have a shorter battery life?
The cost of replacing these starts adding up as compared to a rechargeable battery. On the other hand if you're on vacation and you forget the charger for a camera which has rechargeable batteries you are screwed whereas if it takes AA batteries you just go buy some more.

Quote:
I don't know how happy he would be with a refurbished or not. I don't know about getting one that is used, but he is limited with the money. He may have a little more saved up by the end of the week. Would that help at all if he could spend $200?
Factory refurbished units pass all the same inspections that new ones do. They are usually demo units or units that have been repaired under warranty. I have a factory refurbished Olympus and have not had any issues. It comes in a factory sealed box with all the accessories it would come with new. Camera gear especially lenses are also very widely traded and sold used all the time (one of the top categories on ebay) as lenses tend to maintain usefulness for many years.

The panasonic 14-42mm lens was actually offered new for $69 ...

http://www.samys.com/p/Zoom/HFS01404...ens/37357.html

If he can come up with $200 and you are patient and shop around you should be able to find something. If you feel concerned about buying a used lens on ebay you can also shop the major camera stores like adorama and B&H which sell used stuff as well.
Old May 30, 2012, 1:04 PM   #6

Where would I find a good site for finding a well refurbished Olympus E-PL1?
Old May 30, 2012, 2:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Where would I find a good site for finding a well refurbished Olympus E-PL1?
Olympus, B&H Photo, Cameta, Adorama, Samys, Abe's of Maine, Buy.com, best buy outlet, Buydig and Amazon are the places I would check. Adorama and cameta often times sell their refurbished items on ebay through their company stores, same warranty and everything just they have less stock.

I just did a quick right now the only place I can find the refurbished e-pl1 for $129 right now is at the cameta ebay store;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Pen-...ht_3573wt_1139

as you can see in the listing it comes with a full 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:09 PM   #8

p.s. here are a couple of ongoing auctions for the panasonic 14-42mm lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lu...#ht_500wt_1232

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lu...#ht_500wt_1232

or call Samys and see if they'll get any back in with that rebate offer

http://www.samys.com/p/Zoom/HFS01404...ens/37357.html
Old May 30, 2012, 2:42 PM   #9

Thanks, it isn't that I can't google it myself, it is just I don't know what places are reputable, and which are just plain a bad risk.

thanks for the help
Old May 30, 2012, 2:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks, it isn't that I can't google it myself, it is just I don't know what places are reputable, and which are just plain a bad risk.

thanks for the help
no problem providing help.

I will definitely warn you that there are sites that popup regularly that offer up camera equipment for too good to be true prices, so if you come across a price that is too good to be true then most likely it is. A pretty complete list of reputable sites can be found by clicking the "Hot Deals" tab at the top of the page and then looking along the left side at the list of retailers, often times there could be a coupon too.

best of luck!