Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:55 PM   #1

Default LARGE optical viewfinder for mom

My mom is coming up on her 90th birthday and she LOVES to take photos with her 35mm Fujifilm Big Viewfinder DATE 60AF that I purchased for her years ago. Her eyesight is poor so she really loves the LARGE viewfinder.

My attempt at introducing her to a VERY simple digital camera fell flat and that is an understatement.

She either could not, or perhaps would not absorb the concept of looking at that electronic display lol.

I've looked high and low and without success to find a simple (ie: inexpensive...lol) digital camera with an optical viewfinder similar to that on her current Fujifilm.

One has to be out there, as my motto about the internet is.. If I can think of it.. someone's already done it.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.
Mom's Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:41 PM   #2

A simple "point and shoot" digital camera with a large viewfinder akin to the DATE 60AF hasn't been made- to my knowledge... except maybe a very early digital camera- which by now probably wouldn't be working.
Some older compacts had a tiddly optical viewfinders- but they were frankly useless.
The only "point and shoot" options would be a low end,entry level bridge camera- which has an electronic viewfinder. However,whether this would suffice is another thing- as they tend to be on the small side.
Optical viewfinders can only be found these days on expensive high end compacts- such as the Nikon P7000/7100 or Canon's G series line of compacts- however,neither of these are "simple" camera's and are rather expensive.
I can understand your mothers inability to use an LCD as older people tend to struggle focusing at short distances- maybe she'd be best sticking with her old Fuji....
However,good luck in your quest for that rare camera...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:18 PM   #3

Hi Simon,
Thank you so much for your spot on reply. Mom can't really get around and I was just trying to find a way to avoid going to the store to develop photos as well as giving her the opportunity to take an extra 3 or 4...hundred photos at a time lol. Yes, I did notice that some of the older 1.5 to approx 3.5mp cameras did have some reasonable semblance of a digital viewfinder. I had hopes for one camera in particular but my hopes were dashed when I saw that there was no way mom could manage such a tiny camera ie: the Minox Micro sized Retro Camera... Anyway, to all you manufacturer reps lurking on this forum.. this is, in my opinion, a HUGE opportunity for someone out there. Just get it approved by AARP and let the money flow.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:23 PM   #4

Have you consider electronic viewfinder cameras. They work just like an optical view finder on a slr camera. As you zoom, it zooms. All the other optical view finders on point and shoots are tunnel view finder, not really that good.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:00 PM   #5

@shoturtle Hi and thanks for the suggestion. Yup, I have thought of that. For example the Olympus VF-2 Electronic Viewfinder looks great, but it's around $250 and then you have to attach it to something.. like an Olympus camera..lol which are really quite large and run something like $600 -$800 just for the body.. Believe me, I've looked around. But.. thanks again for trying to help out. I do appreciate it!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:46 PM   #6

Well you can look at the panasonic G2 and G3, they are pretty good with the built in evf. The jpg are not as good as the oly. But it takes decent photos.

What you can do if you like the oly, get and epl-1 and the vf2. The epl-1 has some great deals from time to time with the setup around 500.

Not a fan of the nikon v1, but it has a built in evf as well. But it is pricey for new.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7

You can look at it another way, while you spend 550-600 dollars with the vf2 You will make up the added price of the vf2 back with 20 rolls of file and the development cost.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:57 AM   #8

Re: savings on film... all true. You would just have to be a fly on the wall and see her reaction when she sees that kind of a camera... I REALLY appreciate the input, but for now.. it will be off to the store for film and developing. Thanks again for the input!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

You could have a look at the Fuji X10.