Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:36 AM   #1

Default Help me Choose panasonic zs15 vs canon sx260 vs Canon S100 vs Sony HX20V

Hi I need some help between these camerasanasonic zs20 vs canon sx260 vs Canon S100 vs Sony HX20V vs panasonic zs15 ...... or a camera that is new out in japan or I don't know about. I will be in auto with the megapixels setting turned down most of the time doing point and shoot tourist photography. I went to Fry's and wasn't really impressed by anything regarding image noise when your zoomed in.

What would you recommend for a travel camera with these features:

1) As much zoom as possible
2) Biggest Sensor Possible
3) Smallest Size possible, easily pocketed on the go
4) Low noise in photos at higher zoom settings
5) As a tourist you need quick response time to snap a shot
6) Don't care about GPS or wifi
7) Good in low light
8) Anything out now or coming out soon?

What I have read so far in my research:
-canon S100 has lense issues and isn't the best for auto point and shoot even through it has a small form factor, not much zoom
-panasonic zs15 is better than the zs20 because of lower megapixels and better image quality, it can have some image noise at higher zoom
-canon sx260 good image quality on par with the zs15 and hx20v, not as fast with burst as the zs15 but faster than the hx20v, hiss made during movies, can be ok at low light
- sony hx20v vivid images, slower response than the sx260, has some cool features, can be good at low light, higher iso than the sx260

-casio ex-zr300 exilim 12.5x zoom any good?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by djdanmatthews; Jun 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM.
djdanmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:07 AM   #2

First off I'll say Bijou proportions and big zoom WITH large sensor is impossible.
Small physical dimensions and big zooms equal small sensors only.... end of...
If you don't care about GPS- look at the Canon SX240HS,not the 260.
If you want/need a large zoom, I guess that rules out the S100...
The ZS20 has more zoom plus GPS over the ZS15- but at the expense of slightly inferior IQ- one disappointment though,is the mono audio on the movie capture of the ZS15...
Panasonic's tend to be the leaders of the pack with regards speed- shot to shot,autofocus etc.... though the autofocus of the newer Sony's are quick also...

For me,this would be a close call between the ZS15 and the SX240HS....
They both have the full complement of manual/semi auto options plus their respective auto modes- both with good movie capture capabilities- albeit with mono audio on the Panny. The Canon has the slight edge in IQ in my humble opinion- but the Panny is quicker with regards response all round.
The Sony would be a contender- but 2.5 secs processing time between shots in single shot mode kinda hinder's candid captures.
Maybe if you switch off the image review option and drop down the megapixel setting this would speed up...?

One thing I have to add though- given what these camera's can offer in an "all in one" pocketable package, I think they all do remarkably well- and in most situations I'm sure owners of ANY of the above would be more than happy.

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:49 PM   #3

Wish the S100 had a 12X or 20X bigger zoom that would be what I am looking for. Anything out in Japan like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
First off I'll say Bijou proportions and big zoom WITH large sensor is impossible.
Small physical dimensions and big zooms equal small sensors only.... end of...
If you don't care about GPS- look at the Canon SX240HS,not the 260.
If you want/need a large zoom, I guess that rules out the S100...
The ZS20 has more zoom plus GPS over the ZS15- but at the expense of slightly inferior IQ- one disappointment though,is the mono audio on the movie capture of the ZS15...
Panasonic's tend to be the leaders of the pack with regards speed- shot to shot,autofocus etc.... though the autofocus of the newer Sony's are quick also...

For me,this would be a close call between the ZS15 and the SX40HS....
They both have the full complement of manual/semi auto options plus their respective auto modes- both with good movie capture capabilities- albeit with mono audio on the Panny. The Canon has the slight edge in IQ in my humble opinion- but the Panny is quicker with regards response all round.
The Sony would be a contender- but 2.5 secs processing time between shots in single shot mode kinda hinder's candid captures.
Maybe if you switch off the image review option and drop down the megapixel setting this would speed up...?

One thing I have to add though- given what these camera's can offer in an "all in one" pocketable package, I think they all do remarkably well- and in most situations I'm sure owners of ANY of the above would be more than happy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Not as long in the zoom- but certainly pocketable...and kinda cute..!
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-di...view-50008085/
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Not as long in the zoom- but certainly pocketable...and kinda cute..!
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-di...view-50008085/
Simon how does this compare to the S100 and sx260, which would you buy?

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:40 AM   #6

What I would buy would come down to what I want from a compact- what's important here is what YOU want/require.
The S100 has the advantage in the IQ stakes- and low light performance,but limited zoom.
The IXUS 510HS is a simple "auto" point and shoot with a useful zoom in a tiny package.
The SX260 has the big zoom and many toys on board- but is physically the largest,though still pretty small.

What I would say is,however, all three have small sensors and as such,if you go pixel peeping you'll see noise/artefacts in pretty much any image produced by a compact with such a sensor.
However,viewing at full screen size and printing up to A4/A3 they should all look fine.
Bear in mind though that all of the above Canon's have CMOS sensors which do tend to perform better at higher sensitivities than the competition- and the S100 is the best of the bunch with it's sensor being physically the larger of the three.

So,again- what's important to you...?
Will you be needing/using a long zoom often- and as such accepting a slight compromise in IQ..?
Or can you lose the zoom and enjoy the IQ and low light performance of the S100...?

If it helps any- there are reviews of each of the Canon's here in Steve's reviews section...

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:34 AM   #7

Thats the problem Simon hence my post... I am doing a around the world trip so I won't always have time to get the perfect shot. I had the S90 and I disliked it as I felt the picture quality wasn't the greatest and the images had lots of grain in them. When I bought that I wasn't even thinking about zoom just the best camera with a big sensor and small profile. Many situations do require Zoom when traveling for instance I was in Hong Kong for that trip and was across the water looking at Hong Kong Harbor. While I was there the view was awesome but I zoomed in with the camera and it failed to catch what I saw because of the distance. I wish there was a camera with the S100's sensor and a 20x zoom with fast shooting. The sony is out now but who wants to spend $700 on a camera when you know in a few months several other companies will come out with something new as good or better. I also realize all of these cameras will take nice shots in the sun, but have a hard time in low light, and fast action shots. Cameras release months in advance in Japan that is why I asked if there was anything like that available now I could purchase. I went to a local store and tried the panasonic zs15 and while the zoom was great when I looked at the pic and zoomed in the image had alot of grain, same with the sx260 and the hc20v. The advantage of the sony is the fast shots it takes and the better lcd / movie capability. I typically go for canon but feel they are falling short lately. I would be willing to sacrifice some of that 20% (but not as much as the S90) for a bigger sensor. Any ideas or am I wishing for something that simply isn't availible yet. I am open to other brands, ideas, etc.

Oh by the way I looked up the IXUS 510HS on Amazon and it had terrible reviews, customers hate the touch screen, say it has bad battery, look like a bar of soap, the menus are a mess, and the pics aren't typically good.

Do you have any hints to make the shots vibrant, good in low light, not grainy... Do I turn off the extra megapixels, etc...

Thanks,
Dan

Quote:
What I would buy would come down to what I want from a compact- what's important here is what YOU want/require.
The S100 has the advantage in the IQ stakes- and low light performance,but limited zoom.
The IXUS 510HS is a simple "auto" point and shoot with a useful zoom in a tiny package.
The SX260 has the big zoom and many toys on board- but is physically the largest,though still pretty small.

What I would say is,however, all three have small sensors and as such,if you go pixel peeping you'll see noise/artefacts in pretty much any image produced by a compact with such a sensor.
However,viewing at full screen size and printing up to A4/A3 they should all look fine.
Bear in mind though that all of the above Canon's have CMOS sensors which do tend to perform better at higher sensitivities than the competition- and the S100 is the best of the bunch with it's sensor being physically the larger of the three.

So,again- what's important to you...?
Will you be needing/using a long zoom often- and as such accepting a slight compromise in IQ..?
Or can you lose the zoom and enjoy the IQ and low light performance of the S100...?

If it helps any- there are reviews of each of the Canon's here in Steve's reviews section...
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:49 AM   #8

Ask yourself what are you going to do with your pictures once you've shot them...
Are they going to be posted on sites such as Flickr,e-mailed to friends,printed out (and if so,what size- 6x4,A4..etc) ??
In other words,if you zoom in on any/every picture you take you'll always find flaws- but ask yourself- why am I zooming in on the given image? Am I going to be cropping/printing an image to such an extent..?? Are you going to be printing images out to a size that reflects the size your viewing at..??
Another thing to consider- if you find a camera that is acceptable at the present time- who cares what comes out in the future..? If you're happy with the images/features on your current camera- that's all that matters. If one feels compromised in some way and is lacking/missing a particular feature that would be beneficial/useful- then by all means,consider upgrading.
Getting back to specific cameras- travel compact cameras (with big zooms) are very versatile little chaps,with an awful lot of technology on board- GPS,zooms up to 500mm,HD video recording,optical image stabilisers- and goodness knows what else.
It was only a couple of years ago that we'd be salivating at those specs' in a much larger (and expensive) bridge camera.
I think given all that they can do,in such a tiny,convenient,relatively inexpensive,pocketable form- surely one can forgive a slight compromise in IQ.
Try not to be too critical with IQ- try and look at the shot you've taken "as is.." without zooming in to check minute details- because that's how everyone else will look at it. When you zoom right in on an image, you're probably looking at a size that if printed would be HUGE- and not normally what's required/asked of a travel compact.
The IQ differences between the current crop of travel zoom compacts are quite small- and as such you'd be better off choosing one on what specification suits your needs or which feels more intuitive to use.
I currently own a TZ10 (yes- an older model in the grand scheme of things)- and the reason I purchased that was because of the build quality,the inclusion of aperture and shutter priority modes,the quality glass up front,good image stabiliser and swift auto-focus. Your "spec" requirements may differ from mine...
Yes,the IQ is not DSLR standard- not even close- with more image noise and the colour balance often not accurate- but these are things I can sort out with a basic editing program.
I fear Dan,that what you're wishing for is indeed not available at this current time- and if you want good,clean,noise free images in low light AND a good zoom- you're going to be carrying something which will be much larger/heavier,will need more than one lens and be an awful lot more expensive !

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Ask yourself what are you going to do with your pictures once you've shot them...
Are they going to be posted on sites such as Flickr,e-mailed to friends,printed out (and if so,what size- 6x4,A4..etc) ??
In other words,if you zoom in on any/every picture you take you'll always find flaws- but ask yourself- why am I zooming in on the given image? Am I going to be cropping/printing an image to such an extent..?? Are you going to be printing images out to a size that reflects the size your viewing at..??
Another thing to consider- if you find a camera that is acceptable at the present time- who cares what comes out in the future..? If you're happy with the images/features on your current camera- that's all that matters. If one feels compromised in some way and is lacking/missing a particular feature that would be beneficial/useful- then by all means,consider upgrading.
Getting back to specific cameras- travel compact cameras (with big zooms) are very versatile little chaps,with an awful lot of technology on board- GPS,zooms up to 500mm,HD video recording,optical image stabilisers- and goodness knows what else.
It was only a couple of years ago that we'd be salivating at those specs' in a much larger (and expensive) bridge camera.
I think given all that they can do,in such a tiny,convenient,relatively inexpensive,pocketable form- surely one can forgive a slight compromise in IQ.
Try not to be too critical with IQ- try and look at the shot you've taken "as is.." without zooming in to check minute details- because that's how everyone else will look at it. When you zoom right in on an image, you're probably looking at a size that if printed would be HUGE- and not normally what's required/asked of a travel compact.
The IQ differences between the current crop of travel zoom compacts are quite small- and as such you'd better be choosing one on what specification suits your needs or which feels more intuitive to use.
I currently own a TZ10 (yes- an older model in the grand scheme of things)- and the reason I purchased that was because of the build quality,the inclusion of aperture and shutter priority modes,the quality glass up front,good image stabiliser and swift auto-focus. Your "spec" requirements may differ from mine...
Yes,the IQ is not DSLR standard- not even close- with more image noise and the colour balance often not accurate- but these are things I can sort out with a basic editing program.
I fear Dan,that what you're wishing for is indeed not available at this current time- and if you want good,clean,noise free images in low light AND a good zoom- you're going to be carrying something which will be much larger/heavier,will need more than one lens and be an awful lot more expensive !
Between the following which is the best in low light and has the biggest sensor? They all seem to have about the same rating. I included the specs but am not sure how to read them.

Panasonic ZS20: 105x59x28 mm,f/3.3, 1/3200s shutter speed, 20x zoom, HDR, 260 shot battery, 1000fps, 1cm macro, Image stabilization lens;;

Casio Exilim EX-ZR300: 105x59x29mm,f/3.0,1/2000s shutter speed, 12.5x zoom, HDR, 500 shot battery, 220 fps, 3cm macro, Image stabilization sensor shift;;

Canon sx260: 106x61x33mm, f/3.5, 1/3200s shutter speed, 20x zoom, NO HDR, 210 shot battery, 220fps, 5cm macro, image stabilization lens;;

Sony DSC-HX20V: 107x62x35mm, f/3.2, 1/1600s shutter speed, 20x zoom, HDR, 320 shot battery, 1cm macro, image stabilization lens;;

Last edited by djdanmatthews; Jun 10, 2012 at 2:38 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:40 AM   #10

the specs you listed have nothing to do with "best in low light" if quality is considered a part of best. for that matter, some would prefer better detail in low light pics where some would prefer less noise. the panasonic, canon and sony all have the same size of sensor - the casio hasn't been released yet as far as i can tell, and i can't find the info on its sensor size. the specs you listed show the casio as having the fastest lens, but it's not a mind blower.

no small sensor cameras are going to do a good job at ISO 3200, and imo not at ISO 1600, either, although some do better than others.

as far as a larger sensor, long zoom, easily pocketable camera with non grainy pics and good in low light, you may have to make some compromises. many of us have been looking for such a camera for years. my sx230 had less noisy pics than the panasonics i tried or saw samples from in its class. did the 230 have less detail? i didn't find the detail bad at all for its class. there seems to be a hint less noise from the sx260, but also maybe a hint less detail.

i would have suggested a micro 4/3 camera to you for the bigger sensor, but you'll need a pretty big pocket to carry even the smallest one along with a looong lens.

and look up "comparometer" on google, then select the cameras 2 at a time, click the ISO 1600 samples and compare away.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote