Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:52 AM   #1

Default Which camera would you choose ?

A local shop has two used cameras for sale, both priced the same and both look like new. One is a Fuji S200 EXR and the other is a Panasonic Lumix FZ-35. Which one would you choose and why ?
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:44 AM   #2

Personally,I think the S200 yields better image quality (by quite a margin) and has better results at higher iso settings. It also has the manual zoom for quick and accurate framing.
I also prefer the feel and layout of the S200- but that's purely personal.
The FZ-35 is smaller/lighter which may be a good thing if you like travelling light.
It's autofocus is a little faster and its movie capture is more advanced (with stereo audio).
I'd go for the Fuji every time- not least because I once owned one and was very happy with it.
However- you may prefer the more bijou proportions and the better video capture.

I guess this one's down to you and YOUR needs/requirements....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:20 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply" SIMON40". I also like the manual zoom feature on the S200. I am not concerned about which of the two will take better movies. My main criteria is still picture quality. If I had to choose between these two cameras just for looks, I would have to pick the Fuji S200. With it's big zoom lens hanging way out there, it almost looks like a high dollar professional DSLR. Anyone else have an opinion on these two cameras ? Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:47 PM   #4

G'day SS

please don't choose a camera upon its "dSLR looks"...

I have used the FZ for many years and have played with the 200EXR and was most impressed with it.

One thing in the 200's favour is a slightly larger sensor, thus theoretically allowing slightly clearer images to be printed

Each camera has been superceded by other later / better? models so the techo race moves on

For me, I would go for the 200EXR - for you, you need to consider your photographic needs and the ergonomics of your hand-eye etc etc and the style/type of pictures you intend to use the camera for

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:14 PM   #5

I think I will buy the Fuji S200. Not only because of the opinions posted here, but also because of the comments made by the camera shop owner. He has over 30 years of camera experience. He picked the Fuji S200 over the Lumix FZ-35. He claims that the S200 has much better picture quality due to it's larger CCD sensor. He even went so far as to say that this older model is even far superior to the newer Fuji models that came out after it and said that the Fuji S200 is in his opinion one of the best bridge cameras ever made by any company. That is really some statement, but I also understand that he is trying to sell me a camera.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:53 PM   #6

G'day SS

Having tested the S200 and the FZ35 about 18 months ago I would agree with the shop fella - so get crackin' mate

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote