Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:33 PM   #1

Default Upgrade Canon S90 to _______?

I'd like to upgrade from my Canon S90. I've been reading up on reviews and have pretty much brought myself to a point of confusion - any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I shoot about 50% photos and 50% video for family purposes. My subjects are often in motion (soccer, drumming, kids) and lighting is frequently not that great (but not terribly dark either). I generally don't have the option to use a tripod or flash.

It would be nice to have something with:

- Good low-light performance (relative to the S90)
- Quick auto-focus
- HD video
- Some zoom but mega not required
- Quiet operation (often at music recitals)
- an entry price point of $1,000 or so
- the ability to provide more control over depth of field on occasion

I'm not looking for perfection - just something more capable than what I have. Am I candidate for a mirrorless system? Sony a57? Or do I really need to consider a DSLR? (hoping to avoid bulky equipment).

Thanks.
Barney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:40 AM   #2

If you want to stay "compact"- you could do worse than the latest "S" variant- the Canon S100. Here's a review...
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html

Of course- small sensor compact's are compromised to a degree with regards low light/high iso use- and if you want a significant control over depth of field,then you really have to be looking at a larger sensor camera.
Compact,mirrorless systems would seem the obvious candidates- as you want to avoid "bulky" equipment.
Candidates would be Sony's NEX line,Panasonic's G/GF/GH series,or maybe Samsung's NX range.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:05 PM   #3

I actually started by looking at the S100 and I do like the size and HD video would be great. Where I'm sort of stuck is judging the improvement in capability going from my S90 to the S100 to a mirrorless like the Panasonic GX1/GF5 or the Samsung NX210 or (possibly) a Sony a57. I think the standout questions I'm trying to figure out are:
1) How much of an improvement is the S100 in low-light over the S90?
2) How much of an improvement would a mirrorless camera be over the S100?
3) Am I putting to much thought into this and would a Panasonic or Samsung mirrorless work so much better than my S90 that I'm just wasting time?
Barney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:33 AM   #4

In terms of low light performance- the CMOS sensor equipped should be better,in addition to it's Digic 5 processor on board. Video performance should also be better- with Full HD capture AND the use of the zoom/autofocus during recording.
Sony's NEX should be a consideration also- with very good low light performance and impressive video performance- provided you don't mind the extra size.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote