Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
My comment was a follow-up to ramcewan's comment to have the purchase delivered to Delaware or West Virginia, because they had no sales tax. Since Adorama and B&H don't collect sales tax on any purchase shipped outside NY State or the NYC Metro area, it didn't have to go to Delaware or West Virginia to avoid paying sales tax.
technically many states that have a sales tax will ask for you to remit it for internet orders, in MA this is called a "use tax", I would never recommend that a person does not comply with the tax code applicable to them ;-) therefore I just mentioned those two states as they don't have a sales tax and were on the way ...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
technically many states that have a sales tax will ask for you to remit it for internet orders, in MA this is called a "use tax", I would never recommend that a person does not comply with the tax code applicable to them ;-) therefore I just mentioned those two states as they don't have a sales tax and were on the way ...
Absolutely. I was just clarifying the context of my earlier response for tizeye.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:40 PM   #23

I agree with both of you. use tax applies to the residents of the State who receive mail order from another State. However, the OP appears to be an international tourist visiting and not a resident of any State subject to their use tax. Use tax ONLY applies to the residents of the State and is essentially calling sales tax by another name since they can't collect sales tax on interstate commerce.

The only reason I was seeking a clarification, in the event you are aware of something that I am not. It is my understanding that you cant physically walk into a store and purchase something and give them instructions to mail it outside NY and withhold taxes. Ironically, you can do that overseas where they will withhold VAT is shipped direct back to the States (or elsewhere). The OP may be use to that model and anticipate it with a rude surprise.

Perhaps there is some NY law that allows it, but I doubt it.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:51 PM   #24

Sales tax applies when and where the retail purchase occurs, so, no, sales tax can not be deferred to some other time or place.

A major difference between a "Sales" Tax and a "Value-Added" Tax is that a sales tax is only applied one, at the time of the retail sale, while value-added taxes can be applied one after another as an item changes hands.

Last edited by TCav; Jun 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
However, the OP appears to be an international tourist visiting and not a resident of any State subject to their use tax.

Well, my parents house is in NY, so I technically can claim residence there. I'm not sure whether you thought I was actually foreign, which either means my English isn't great or you believe I am highly educated and fluent!

Either way, I am an American, living in Germany at the moment!
Scottyent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyent View Post

Thanks again guys! The next step is to try them all out when I first get to america, then once I find the one that feels and looks right to me, start hunting for deals!
No, just sounded like a tourist traveling from NY to FL. Unfortunately your mother lives in NY or could have shipped to her, but would be subject to NY tax. If you are living in Europe, that is your residence while remaining a US Citizen. It is like my daughter living in Switzerland. After graduating from college in NY she "moved back home" changing driver's license and voter reg to FL so her foreign earnings wouldn't be subject to NY's State Income Tax (that Florida doesnt have) and she had an address for her US mail. If you are in Germany through the military, then it is whatever you have declaired as your home of record. While you are in Germany, if you have the time, may want to get a head start and physically check out the cameras you are considering - either in the military BX or on the economy, or both if applicable. As far as 'hunting for deals' they are pretty much price controlled with sales dictated by the manufacturer aand the same price everywhere. Lower prices than everywhere elseusually means it is gray market and won't be covered under the US Warranty.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:43 AM   #27

Canon dont do mirrorless at the moment though
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote