Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:52 AM   #1

Default I was offered a Pentax K10D

Well, as some of you may remember, I was looking for a used DSLR in my price range and I wanted a good quality camera. I had narrowed it down to a Nikon and Canon intro model, but at the last minute, pretty much settled on a Pentax due to the advice that since my friend owns one and we will be shooting together a lot, it would be good to share lens systems and have someone to go to when I need help with it.

I then decided I will wait until america because the exchange rate will give me the advantage, and maybe I can search through used stores and try things out etc etc.

Welll.....my friend, that same friend with the cameras I loved....has just told me that he is selling his Pentax K10D

He offered it to me first, and said he would be willing to sell it around 220 euros including his lense (which as far as I know, is a good one...forgot to ask him the exact size, but messaged him about it and am waiting back).

I am sure I can bargain him to 200....but the fact is I still don't KNOW this is a great deal! It sounds it to me, but it is I think like a 6 year old model. I really have no idea if this woudl be what is best for me! He would also be willing to let me pay him in smaller payments over a few months, which for me right now is a godsend.

So, is it a good deal or would I be doing it just to compromise for the price??
Scottyent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:08 AM   #2

update: lens is the standard 18-55
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:33 PM   #3

If you can wriggle him to 200 euro's (roughly 160-170 UK) with kit lens- and is functioning as it should,then that's a pretty decent deal.
It's a well made camera,which can take a bit of abuse- and is dust/weather resistant also.
If you don't need video- and have access to other lenses- I'd seriously consider it.
Also- if you pay by means of instalments,it kinda guarantees it by default- as he wouldn't get paid the remaining balance...

You may want to read this review to give you some idea to the model's pro's and con's...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 6:52 PM   #4

Hmmm... Interesting. So it's not a GREAT deal. That sucks haha I mean, I think the quality would be good enough, and as a starter kit that I might not possibly stay with.

I was thinking, I get this from him, use it with him and share lenses with him over the next year and a half or so while I still live here, and then when I move if I decide I have learned enough and possibly want to upgrade, I'll be able to start from scratch having only spent 200 euros to have a camera for a few years, learn on it, have someone to show me things on it, and have a variety of lenses to experiment with...

I am selling myself on it, and my girlfriend and I are really excited... Just hesitating as its a big decision!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:16 PM   #5

To be honest- if the camera's still in fine fettle when you want to sell it on in the future- you'll probably get a good chunk of your money back.
The resale value of second hand DSLR's hold up pretty well.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:24 PM   #6

I have a Pentax K10D that I bought new in Nov., 2007. I must have close to 100,000 shutter actuation's. I use it a couple of times a week in conditions ranging from 20 to 25 below to 30-35 above (C) weather. Unfortunately I dropped it once...didn't damage it, still works as good as ever...but I don't recommend dropping any camera.

It's rugged, weather sealed, the K10D won many awards for design when it was introduced.

I still use it...a lot. In the past two week or so I've put on more than 1000 shutter actuation's.

So far with all this hard service it has not given me any trouble.

I can't predict what luck you would have if you bought your friend's old K10D...but I'm still very happy with mine.

BTW...I've got newer digital cameras...Canon G 12, Pentax Km and Pentax K-5....but the K10D hasn't been put out to pasture and won't for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
BTW...I've got newer digital cameras...Canon G 12, Pentax Km and Pentax K-5....but the K10D hasn't been put out to pasture and won't for the foreseeable future.
this is what I wanted to hear I think we will talk a little bit more about price, but I'm going to do it! First DSLR here I come

One of the other things that sold me is this:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...vs-Pentax_K10D
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D3100-vs-Pentax_K10D

....if the camera is that close to two of the starter models I was thinking about, and I can get it at literally half the price....it sounds good to me!

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:19 PM   #8

I purchased it tonight! 210 euro, and its in mint condition and we hung out for a bunch of hours just talking about settings and how to shoot. Am extremely excited to continue learning and trying out all of my own shots, and then playing with them on my computer