Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:27 PM   #1

Default Canon 110d or 550d

Hi, I am looking for a dslr and had been reading about the 1100d which looks pretty good entry level dslr with good image quality but the lack of dust reduction put me off a bit, I have also noticed the 550d which I know is a higher featured camera, more mp etc. but also quite a bit more expensive. Finances are tight (as usual) so obviously the cheaper price appeals. But would there be a lot of difference in image quality between these two models? features, yes, but what about image quality? and would the lack of dust reduction be a problem? would love to hear from anyone who has experience of either or both of these cameras, thanks, jacqui.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:46 PM   #2

Image quality will be very good on both models- and I think one would be hard pressed to tell them apart. Yes,the 550D has more resolution,but unless you're going to be printing VERY large images- it shouldn't be an issue.
With regards dust reduction- or lack of- if you don't change lenses much it shouldn't be an issue. And if you do- just be careful not to do so in a dusty environment.
I've had many Canon's without dust reduction- 300D,350D,10D,20D etc- and I've never had an issue with dust (touch wood...lol...).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:42 AM   #3

Thanks for your advice, thats what I am most interested in, image quality, yes it's nice to have all the extras but when money is tight, the cheaper option is tempting too
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:09 AM   #4

my advice would be get the 550d/t2i to me it is the better camera and you may well find that you out grow the 1100d very quickly
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:13 AM   #5

Thanks, that is what I am concerned with, they both have good points, 1100d mainly good price for good image quality with not many frills, but 550d more camera, and as you say less chance of growing out of it too quickly. But will I really need all the extras? Confusion!?!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:22 AM   #6

I guess which camera would suit you- aside from budget- might come down to what you plan to shoot. If you don't plan to go beyond the standard kit lens- then the advantages of the 550D would be limited.
The 1100D comes with both a non stabilised and a stabilised kit lens- the latter being the far better option. Also bear in mind the money saved purchasing the 1100D might allow you the option of an upgraded kit lens,adding a basic telephoto lens or a nice 50mm f/1.8 to the kit for much the same cost of the 550D.
There's no doubt the 550D has a higher spec' in both stills and movie capture and generally has a better "feel" and build quality.
Only you can decide if the extra features/feel would benefit what you plan to shoot and would be worth the extra cost...
I will say however,that I've never found any Canon body/model limiting for stills shooting and 99% of the time the lens will be the limiting factor- unless you plan on pro sports shooting with blindingly fast burst modes/AF speeds- and even then you need some seriously expensive glass up front..!

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:30 AM   #7

when you buy a DSLr you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your needs' go and try both out if it feels right then you are a long way down the road to it being right, dont settle for i will get used to it.
the 550d is fine camera and its kit 18-55is isnt a bad lens to start with. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 4:35 AM   #8

Hi, I shoot wildlife a lot and also do some stock photography, not as a full time income, but as a hobby/bit of extra money really. I have ordered a 55-250mm lens already for whichever camera I choose, as that will suit me fine I think. But my daughter also has canon and she is starting to get a few photography jobs now, amateur football tournaments, and even a wedding, so she has some nice lenses that I could share Im starting to think maybe the 550d as I will not grow out of it so quick, do you think the 55-250mm lens will be an ok lens for the 550d? I have read good things about it and seen some great photos from it. Thanks, jacqui.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:34 AM   #9

my son has a 550D and he mostly uses it with the 55-250 lens and he really likes it. he's got a couple other lenses, but he shoots small wildlife - squirrels, hummingbirds, etc - which it seems to be perfect for.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui2 View Post
But would there be a lot of difference in image quality between these two models? features, yes, but what about image quality? and would the lack of dust reduction be a problem?
There won't be a big difference in image quality between these two cameras.
Either one is capable of producing excellent results. If your budget allows,
I would suggest the 550D is a better camera because:

It has a bigger, better, higher resolution LCD screen.
This really makes a difference when reviewing shots
or composing live-view and macro shots.

It shoots full 1080 HD video.

It has an input for an external microphone. The lack of a
mic socket on the 1100D and the 500D makes them almost
useless for shooting video unless you are using separate
sound recording equipment.

The 550D is virtually identical to the newer 600D. Both are
based around the same 18MP sensor array which is also
used in the 60D and 7D. The only significant differences between
the 550D and the 600D are the flip-out LCD and wireless flash
control. Early reports and sample images from the latest 650D
model suggest that the performance of it's 18MP sensor is
just about identical to the sensor in the 550D.

IMHO, the 550D is stil the best bang-for-buck DSLR
on the market.

The 55-250mm IS lens is also a wise buy. I'm sure you will
enjoy using it.

Good Luck with the new camera.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote