Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Default What type of camera for use with no flash and zoom

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a camera, but don't know really what to look for. I use it mostly for family pictures. We take a lot of pictures of my children at piano recitals and theater performances where we can not use flash and sometimes zoom in.

First off, are there cameras that can even take a quality photo (no blurriness and you can see the subject) under these conditions where I can quickly point and shoot? If so, what should I look for or do you have any recommendations?

I definitely want to stay under a $1000 and closer to $500 if possible. It would be great it it could record video too.

Thanks for any help!

SHarrison
SHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:05 AM   #2

You may need to look at a DSLR camera to meet your needs. Canon's T3, T2i, or T3i or the Nikon D3100 or D5100 might be good places to start. All of these cameras are under $1000 and most are no more than $800. You may also look at mirrorless interchangeable lens camera offerings from Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon, or Sony.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHarrison View Post
I'm looking to buy a camera, but don't know really what to look for. I use it mostly for family pictures. We take a lot of pictures of my children at piano recitals and theater performances where we can not use flash and sometimes zoom in.

First off, are there cameras that can even take a quality photo (no blurriness and you can see the subject) under these conditions where I can quickly point and shoot? If so, what should I look for or do you have any recommendations?
You need a faster shutter speed in order to avoid motion blur due to subject movement. In order to get a faster shutter speed yet still get a properly exposed photo, you need to compensate for the light loss by using a larger aperture and/or a higher ISO sensitivity. A larger aperture lens will be expensive but will do the job. Higher ISOs are generally only available on dSLRs, which tend to be expensive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHarrison View Post
I definitely want to stay under a $1000 and closer to $500 if possible.
Not gonna happen.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4

check out the canon s95 or the s100....or the fuji x-10.
Mark A400 is offline   Reply With Quote