Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:20 PM   #1

Default Torn Between 2 Cameras

Hello! I've been reading here for some time, particularly in the Sony and Panasonic Point and Shoot forums and I hope that you can help me!

Right now, I have a Sony DSC H2 that I really like. It has been a great little camera for me and I have been very happy with it. ( I also used to have a Panasonic FZ20 that has found a new home with my daughter, which was another great little camera for me )

I have decided to upgrade to a longer zoom and more pixels. After some reading and comparing I am trying to make up my mind between 2 cameras. The Panasonic FZ150 and the Sony DSC HX100.

Both have advantages such as Raw in the Panny, but I am also intrigued by the panorama mode in the Sony as well as the longer zoom. I don't really need extreme low light capability but would like something that will do pretty well in foggy situations when I take pics on the coast with the grandkids running and jumping in the surf as well as participating in sports. Also I enjoy taking concert photos in pretty well lit venues and have had pretty good luck with both my previous cameras so I would like something that would do pretty well there as well.

I would really appreciate any help, particularly from anyone who has some experience with these 2 cameras. My local stores don't carry either of these camera so I am going to have to order online to get a good feel for them.

Thanks for reading! :0)
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:34 PM   #2

Finding someone who has experience with BOTH camera's may prove tricky. There are many users of the FZ-150 here at steve's and maybe a few users of the HX100v- though posts from users of the Sony seem quite rare... does that tell a story in itself..??
There are many reviews online- most of which seem to favour the Panny over most bridges- not just the Sony.
There are many things to consider with a bridge camera- and outright IQ depends on many factors. Autofocus speed and accuracy,shot to shot times,handling and intuitive layout- all of which speeds up the shooting process- and these are just to catch the said shot.
Then there's the processor,noise control at various iso settings,the quality of the lens,effectiveness of the image stabiliser etc...
Can you fit filters to the camera directly,does it have a external flash mount,mic' socket for video's,remote connection etc.... many things to ponder...!

Here's a very concise review of the FZ-150- with comparison shots against the HX100v...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...50/index.shtml
And a review of the HX100v from the same testers...
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So...ot_DSC_HX100V/

There are also many video's/test of these camera's on youtube which may be worth a look..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the links and info Simon, I appreciate it.
Since I am no closer to making a decision it looks like I'm going to have to make a trip into the big city to where I can get my hands on both of them for an up close comparison!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:59 PM   #4

if you plan to shoot any video, the fz150 has full manual controls and an external mic input, which the sony doesn't have. the sony also doesn't have a fully articulated screen, which i found very handy when shooting at car shows and in other situations, and it doesn't shoot in RAW, which may grown on you when you see the possibilities when a shot is over exposed and it turns out the RAW allows you to save the shot.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:15 PM   #5

Thanks pcake. I have decided to go with the Panny just for that very reason of having Raw. I also did find someone who had both cameras and they recommended the Panny over the Sony as well.

Thanks for your help!