Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:01 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS3 opinion please

Been reading about this little camera but would like an opinion as i know many here are experts and i am far from that so all thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

What is its advantages and disadvantages?

I have the Panny fz38 so this one looks similar - is it?

Is it fast to take photos?

Not bothered with the video though as i never use that.

I eagerly look forward to your opinions.
Thanks in advance
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:52 AM   #2

As a walkabout,convenient compact- you could do far worse.
I've always liked the TZ/ZS series of camera's due to their build quality and good quality lens up front.
I was always left somewhat frustrated that the ZS/TS cameras didn't have full manual controls- and imagine my joy when the ZS5 and all later models included them..!
I still own a TZ10/ZS7 and am more than happy with it-
The difference between mine and the ZS3 are the inclusion of manual controls,12mp as opposed to 10 and a better autofocus in video mode- though as you're not bothered with video- I guess it doesn't matter.
By all accounts,the TZ7/ZS3 actually had better IQ than my TZ10/ZS7- but I'm more than happy with mine.
Small sensor compacts are inherently compromised by their baby sensors- and as such they're not without caveats...
White balance can sometimes be inaccurate and image noise can become a problem in lower light/higher iso shooting- though usually within salvageable limits of any decent image editor on your computer.
With regards speed- expect a start up time of around a couple of seconds- and if you want decent shot to shot time,turning off the image review(the pic you just took) helps greatly. Autofocus speed is pretty swift with the TZ/ZS series of cameras- though expect slightly slower performance at full telephoto or in dropping light.
Selecting multi area focus can help speed also- naturally selecting the area of highest contrast first.
Here's a few examples taken with my ZS7- equipped with the same lens as the ZS3 and similar in many ways other than the things already mentioned.
And here's an in depth review of the ZS3.....
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...x_DMC_TZ7_ZS3/
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:38 AM   #3

Nice shots and happy to buy the TZ10 but it seems no longer available in the UK. Now i have to start all over again,lol.
What now? Which camera?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:07 AM   #4

Look for a good used one..? As I did...?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:25 AM   #5

How would i know it is a good one? That's what worries me. I don't want to buy unseen/untried as i cannot afford to loose the money.

Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:16 AM   #6

I got mine off ebay- and as a general rule,if the item is "not as described" and a case is opened,the buyer gets the verdict and your money is refunded.
Stick to buyers with perfect recent feedback and if the listing images are poor- ask the seller to e-mail some item images. Also look for one with ALL accessories and boxed- always handy should you want to sell it on later...
Ebay and such like isn't for everyone- but I've had some good bargains- plus the occasional duffer- which ebay has refunded me with no problem..!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:25 AM   #7

Thanks Simon, i am looking to the tz18 as i can get that locally in a good store, John Lewis, which i trust.
What do you think of this one? Also can you tell me anything about digital zoom? I have never used that before and see this camera goes up to 42x. I have never used it on my Panny fz38 so far as i knownothing about it.
Thanks E.

Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:30 AM   #8

With regards digital zoom- I wouldn't bother with it- on ANY camera.
It degrades image quality (no matter what they tell you...).
Here's a review of the TZ18.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...S8/index.shtml
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:09 AM   #9

Thanks Simon.