Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:49 PM   #1

Default First DSLR: Canon T2i, T3i, or T4i?

I am looking to upgrade from my current camera and purchase my first DSLR for my upcoming trip. I have always had Canonís and have narrowed my focus to the Canon Rebel series: the t2i, t3i and t4i. I am open to purchasing any of these but I am also very conscious of the price because whatever I spend on my camera comes out of my travel budget.
Quality of still photography is without a doubt the most important aspect of a camera for me. Is there any real difference in the quality of still photography between these models? From what I can tell the major changes in each upgrade seem to be related to the LCD screen and the quality of Video, but am I missing something?
Any advice or opinions on which of these cameras I should go with considering the above would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
parke001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by parke001 View Post
I have always had Canon’s and have narrowed my focus to the Canon Rebel series: the t2i, t3i and t4i. I am open to purchasing any of these but I am also very conscious of the price....

Welcome to the forum.

The T2i is a very attractive option. It can match the image quality of
the newer models. The T3i adds a flip-out screen and wireless flash
control. The T4i has some more bells-&-whistles which may be useful
for live-view or video shooting.

Quote:
Is there any real difference in the quality of still photography between these models? From what I can tell the major changes in each upgrade seem to be related to the LCD screen and the quality of Video, but am I missing something?
I think your assessment is correct. Image quality of the T2i and T3i is identical
because they are based on the same 18MP sensor. The T4i may use a different
sensor, but any of the sample images I have seen would suggest that there is
no improvement in image quality over the T2i and T3i.

Based on your comments, I would say the T2i is the perfect choice. If
you have a need for the flip-out LCD or wireless flash control, maybe you
could justify the extra cost of the T3i. Prices of the recently launched T4i
are still quite high and Canon are still ironing the bugs out of the design.
I would be inclined to wait for prices to drop or else pick up a 60D for a
similar price.

Last edited by corkpix; Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3

I don't know much about the cannon line, but if you are sure that still shot image quality is top priority and will remain so, I would go with the cheapest of the three and focus more on getting yourself some good quality glass.

Bodies are cheap in comparison to getting yourself a good set of lenses. If you start out with good glass and decide later that you want more features, you can upgrade camera bodies later. That being said it also depends on what kind of quality is good enough for you. If you're satisfied with the image quality of the kit lens and you don't think that level of satisfaction will decrease over time, I would then say to get the body with the most features with the Kit lens.

Hope some of this makes sense.
hoffam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:32 AM   #4

all these are fine cameras but if moneys tight then go for the 550d/t2i. what will you photographing
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:34 AM   #5

this is all very helpful information, thank you very much!!
parke001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:25 PM   #6

I have a T2i and just bought a T4i. In my informal comparisons with my new T4i and with the same lens (Canon 17-55 EFS F2.8) I clearly see an increased clarity in the image quality. The sensor is also absorbing more light. I have seen reviews that support that but am waiting for someone with scientific analysis to confirm that for me. Autofocus is definitely faster and performs better in lowlight. I typically shoot RAW but if I was a jpeg shooter I would definitely be even more excited as the NR is better and faster. 5fps is also helpful for me too. I would recommend it over the 60D easily.

Last edited by sterlingsteves; Jul 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM.
sterlingsteves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:36 PM   #7

the t4i includes ca correction in the pics, the t2i and t3i do not. if you shoot jpg, that's a handy feature - if you shoot raw, it won't matter. also unless you only shoot still lifes and other non-moving objects, faster autofocus might be worth considering.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:06 AM   #8

I bought the T2i first, then decided to upgrade to the T3i. For a period of two weeks, I had both cameras in my possession, so I could make a direct comparison, and decided hands-down that the T2i is the one I will keep. Why? The T2i is FAST. I shoot my toddler in continuous mode, and the camera delivers the 3.7 fps it's supposed to. It makes a huge difference knowing you can press the shutter and the camera will instantly take a picture. The T3i, however, adds frequent and unpredictable delays when "busy" flashes in the viewfinder and the red light is on -- even in continuous mode.
artsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:27 PM   #9

i don't think i have heard this complaint before. the cameras are the same in the inside - you may have gotten a lemon or been using a slower sd card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygirl View Post
I bought the T2i first, then decided to upgrade to the T3i. For a period of two weeks, I had both cameras in my possession, so I could make a direct comparison, and decided hands-down that the T2i is the one I will keep. Why? The T2i is FAST. I shoot my toddler in continuous mode, and the camera delivers the 3.7 fps it's supposed to. It makes a huge difference knowing you can press the shutter and the camera will instantly take a picture. The T3i, however, adds frequent and unpredictable delays when "busy" flashes in the viewfinder and the red light is on -- even in continuous mode.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:29 PM   #10

Default What's Going On Here?

I waited too long to pick up a Canon T2i. Most still avaialable are used, remanufactured or more expensive than the newer T31. From what I've re*****hed, it sounds as though t2i is a classic and much better suited to a shooter like me who doesn't care about video or articulated screens.

But my cheap puke sense of value simply drives me nuts at the idea of paying more for a T2i than the later T3i.

What about the T3 with fewer MP?
last901 is offline   Reply With Quote