Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Still need help please

I am still looking for a small camera after all this time, about two months now i think. I have read reviews until they are coming out of my ears and confusing me.
I would like, in no particular order, a long zoom, clear photos, good in poor light/night shots, fast to take photos, good image stabilisation due to shaky hands, RAW, and around 200.00 gps or thereabouts.
I have looked at all makes and still got nowhere. I am not a great photographer by any means but do love taking photos, i have tons to learn too so would like a small camera to fit into my pocket that's quick and light and all of the above, if possible.
Please give me your suggestions before i go mad. There is way too much on the market for me and while the experienced photographer here knows exactly what to look for in a good camera that does not apply to me. I get lost with sensors too, just don't understand them yet.
Save my sanity please.
Thanks.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Hi eysha- you say "in no particular order..." with regards your wish-list.
However,some of those things compromise the other.
For example- long zooms and low light ability don't tend to go together well- so I guess you need to figure out which requirement on your wish-list is the most important feature- and you're certainly going to be pushing it to get it all for around 200...!

The only Camera which has all of the spec's within budget is the Fujifilm F550EXR...
Shoots RAW,has GPS,decent zoom and has an image stabiliser....
It's a slightly older model now so may be going cheap if you can find it...!
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...550exr_review/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3

What if i scrap the RAW and add more ?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4

your real issue is good in low light. while lots of cameras have "handheld night (or twilight) mode", these haven't proven ideal for me. what you need for good low light pics is either a bigger sensor, a faster lens or both. faster lenses aren't generally available on fixed lens cameras with a nice long zoom. that being said, i've had much better luck with canons than panasonics when it comes to less noise in low light cameras. the fz150 was the exception, but that would be over your price range and size preference.

i find that the canon sx260 (and sx230) are good all-rounders, with a long zoom, better low light performance than some of its competitors and good stabilization. that being said, these aren't as small as say an elph or some other compact cameras. while some say these are slow cameras, i find them to be competitive with others in their price range, better to focus on closer things and i must say i like 'em. i owned the 230 and own the 260, which i chose after trying the elph 510 (shutter lag, but a good camera) and the panasonic zs20 (snappy performance, but focus issues on medium shots, noise at ISO 400 or in low light, horrible noise at ISO 1600 compared to other cameras).

good luck finding the right camera for you!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply pcake. I have to say i am getting really fed up with looking for a camera, the reviews are doing my poor head in,lol. Been looking for a long time. Just don't want to jump in as i did the last time when i bought a Samsung and it lasted long enough to take only 502 photos, that was disappointing so that make is out.
Need it to last a lot longer than that,lol.
I still need help.

Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:39 PM   #6

For what it's worth- budget allowing- I'd agree with pcake- the Canon SX 230/40/60 are great all rounders...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:44 AM   #7

Many thanks Simon, i will look into those.