Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:14 AM   #1

Default what camera for videography/photography?

hi, i'm new to this forum, and i came here mostly to ask what camera would everyone suggest i get? right now i have a canon 40d and tamron 17-50 non vc.

photo wise its just not cutting it. idk if its because i use photoshop elements and suck at post processing, or whether its the cameras algorithms or what, but i really would like a more impressive image (i know my comp. is relatively ok and subjects are good, its just they lack all the pop and wow of more seasoned photographers).

i also want to be able to shoot video as well, and i don't know much about video, so it needs to be really simple to use and that i can easily be creative with it. one of my friends suggested the new panasonic g5, but aren't 4/3 cameras basically horrible?

thanks for reading this enormous wall of text.
Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:53 AM   #2

sounds like you need better lenses, but you may be able to do more with your in-camera settings. i used to use cheap lenses, and was pretty happy. then my husband got a high end lens for my old 30D, and wow! the difference was jaw dropping.

and of course, if the problem is your processing, you won't be able to fix that with a new camera. maybe you can download some of the professional review sample pics at full sized and see how you do processing them.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:15 AM   #3

The 40d should get you some very good shots can you post some pics to help us
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:45 AM   #4

As wave01 suggests- the 40D is a very fine camera- capable of excellent image quality.
Of course,much of that depends on the user and the lens attached to it.
All of this is irrelevant however, if you want to shoot some video.
The G3/G5 are very good in the video department.... what makes you think they're horrible....? Is it their lightweight/bijou proportions- certainly compared to a 40D anyway..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
hi, i'm new to this forum, and i came here mostly to ask what camera would everyone suggest i get? right now i have a canon 40d and tamron 17-50 non vc.
Welcome to the forum.

You have a very good camera and a very good lens. If you expect to see
a big improvement from a new camera, you will probably be disappointed.

Quote:
photo wise its just not cutting it. idk if its because i use photoshop elements and suck at post processing, or whether its the cameras algorithms or what, but i really would like a more impressive image (i know my comp. is relatively ok and subjects are good, its just they lack all the pop and wow of more seasoned photographers).
You can remove the camera processing from the equation by shooting RAW
or RAW+JPEG. Images from a DSLR tend to lack the "pop and wow" of
the highly saturated, sharpened and contrast-boosted images from a P&S.
You can use your editing software to achieve similar results.

Quote:
i also want to be able to shoot video as well, and i don't know much about video, so it needs to be really simple to use and that i can easily be creative with it. one of my friends suggested the new panasonic g5, but aren't 4/3 cameras basically horrible?
Panasonic G series is very good for both stills and video. The other obvious choice is the new Canon T4i/650D.

If you are prepared to wait a while, you can expect to see new models from
Canon for Photokina in September. Any new DSLR (70D?) is likely to have
hybrid AF as seen in the T4i/650D and the recently announced mirrorless camera.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
The 40d should get you some very good shots can you post some pics to help us
these were some test shots i took a while ago

i only edited the b&w one. the vignette is totally natural, and while great for portraits, i usually don't do those so its more of a pain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
As wave01 suggests- the 40D is a very fine camera- capable of excellent image quality.
Of course,much of that depends on the user and the lens attached to it.
All of this is irrelevant however, if you want to shoot some video.
The G3/G5 are very good in the video department.... what makes you think they're horrible....? Is it their lightweight/bijou proportions- certainly compared to a 40D anyway..!
i was mostly thinking they aren't good because of the micro 4/3 sensor. i was told they have alot of inherent noise and that photo's weren't that good. the touchscreen af seems like an amazing creative tool that i could definitely use though.
i'm wanting to get a camera with good video because i do quite a bit of national traveling and am starting to get more serious about photography as an art, and want to pick up videography as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
Welcome to the forum.
thanks cork
You have a very good camera and a very good lens. If you expect to see
a big improvement from a new camera, you will probably be disappointed.

You can remove the camera processing from the equation by shooting RAW
or RAW+JPEG. Images from a DSLR tend to lack the "pop and wow" of
the highly saturated, sharpened and contrast-boosted images from a P&S.
You can use your editing software to achieve similar results.
i'm looking more for classy than anything else, and my photos colors just seem to not deliver on that, but who knows? thats why i'm asking for second opinions

Panasonic G series is very good for both stills and video. The other obvious choice is the new Canon T4i/650D.

If you are prepared to wait a while, you can expect to see new models from
Canon for Photokina in September. Any new DSLR (70D?) is likely to have
hybrid AF as seen in the T4i/650D and the recently announced mirrorless camera.
will the 70d have the touch screen af like the g5, because thats what is intriguing me the most tbh.
i have only really shot in jpeg before because i don't have a raw processor, is there any pp program you know of that has one? are there any good comprehensive tutorials on elements and such? because i only mess with levels and thats about it except for some gamma and sharpness adjustment. my gf tried explaining how to use photoshop but it just confused me more.

i'm also nervous about switching to panasonic because i'm already somewhat familiar with canon, and it seems coutner productive to move to a smaller sensor.

Last edited by Ashe; Jul 27, 2012 at 8:32 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:15 AM   #7

i shoot a G3, and the noise isn't bad unless you're shooting at ISO 6400 and above. just like with the 40D, your settings and lens will help dictate how your pics turn out. i moved from a 30D to a panasonic, and from that panasonic to the GF1. i find panasonic's menus to be pretty good, much easier than sony's, for example.

btw, what is it you don't like about your second pic?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:26 AM   #8

i mostly don't like the C.A and vignetting (to a degree on the vignetting).

what lens do you use with the g3? do you have any sample pics you can show (and maybe tell me what you did in your post processing?) trying to get an idea if i should just wait for the 70d to come out, or if moving to the g5 would be better.

because as far as i know, the u/i on the 60d isn't anywhere near as friendly as panasonic offerings. and i understand professional shooters will probably verge on canon for everything, idk if i'll ever go pro, i'll most likely just stay as an enthusiast.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9

The CA on the fist pic is a problem- clearly the lens's fault.. but maybe stepping the aperture down might help..?
I like the second pic- save maybe a white balance adjustment....
4/3 sensors/processors have come on a bit in the noise/high iso department- and the G3 was quite a large improvement over the G2- and the G3/G5 images look very good at iso 1600/3200- and not far short of an equivalent APS-C equipped model...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:21 PM   #10

if i remember right, the aperture was f/3.6 and 1/250? i had 2 led bulbs positioned 2 feet left and right of camera at a 45* angle. most of my other shots are at least f/5.6 or above. usually around f/8 so i usually don't notice any ca, just when i'm using a large aperture. f/8 is about when vignetting gets to be alittle retarded.

edit: simon40, what lens do you use with your g3? do you have sample pictures i can look at? i'm trying to figure out if the move will be worth it, or if i should stay with canon.