Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:17 AM   #1

Default Help!!

I know this question has been asked probably countless times but I'm a new user and would like some help. For the past week I've been debating over which camera would be best for my needs - the panasonic fz150 or the canon sx40. Having only ever used a basic compact I would like to invest a bit more in getting a better camera to develop a hobby as well as taking general photos but do not want to venture into dslr territory. I would say my main requirements are family photos, day outs, nature, landscapes and possibly moon photos. The reviews for the FZ150 are wonderful however for some reason my interest is still being held by the image quality and zoom of the sx40. At the moment the cost of the FZ150 is 364 (approx $571) and the sx40 is 289 (approx $453). Which would you recommend?
dnmwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:47 PM   #2

they're both good cameras, and very similar in features and quality. the differences are that the fz150 shoots raw, which can come in very handy at times, and has full manual control over the videos. on the other hand, if you never shoot raw, canon has a little less noise in the jpg's without making them seem to smoothed out and watercolory. also the canon has a rubber eye cup, a plus for glasses wearers. and of course, canon has the longer zoom.

all that being said, i loved my fz150, and regretted selling it. when i go back over the pics, they're quite impressive for a digicam, and it was fast, also - i got pics of a bunny hopping away, a gopher who would pop up for a nano second and so on. i believe the sx40 should do the same, but didn't own one so i can't be sure.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:46 AM   #3

Well- I've owned both... and still have the FZ-150...!
I prefer the layout,the controls,the menu system- and even a proper on-off switch makes a difference..! Plus you can add filters straight onto the camera with no adapters....
The LCD screen is larger (though not a huge issue),has the ability to shoot RAW(though I rarely use it),you can add external mic's if you so wish,the video capture is excellent- with auto-focus keeping up ALL of the time,has fast burst modes WITH auto-focus- and the AF is quick by bridge/compact camera standards.

Pluses for the Canon include the BIG zoom,a surprisingly good lens for the range on offer,the best image stabiliser out there in my opinion and arguably better IQ than the Panny'- albeit by small margins. It's definitely better at higher iso's and I had no problems using iso 1600 indoors- I'm not sure I'd be so confident doing that with the Panny....

To sum up- the Canon has the IQ edge and that big,effective zoom range....
The Panasonic has the speed and layout to capture spur of the moment shots- which I personally prefer.
If one's primarily an "auto" shooter- I'd recommend the Canon,for the more hands on "manual" shooter,I'd suggest the Panasonic.

And for "Moon" ers... Canon all the way...
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Well- Pluses for the Canon include the BIG zoom,a surprisingly good lens for the range on offer,the best image stabiliser out there in my opinion and arguably better IQ than the Panny'- albeit by small margins. It's definitely better at higher iso's and I had no problems using iso 1600 indoors- I'm not sure I'd be so confident doing that with the Panny....

Excellent points,
but woudnt FZ200 close the edge for the zoom? and the price is litle bit more then FZ 150 now? (I have FZ 150 myself and honestly thinking to upgrade to FZ 200)
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:18 AM   #5

The FZ-200 has the same zoom range of the 150- but the option to use an f/2.8 aperture THROUGHOUT the zoom range is a HUGE boon- giving you the option to use faster shutter speeds at the long end of the zoom- or a lower iso,all else being equal.
So,in essence,whilst the Canon may have the edge in high iso IQ- the FZ200 will potentially enable you to use a lower iso at anything other than wide-angle,thus negating Canon's advantage...!
If money was no object- I'd definitely consider upgrading to the FZ-200- not least because I shoot a great deal at longer focal lengths and with moving subjects.
Of course- we should all hold tight to wait and see how the new Panny' performs in tests....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
If money was no object- I'd definitely consider upgrading to the FZ-200- not least because I shoot a great deal at longer focal lengths and with moving subjects.
Of course- we should all hold tight to wait and see how the new Panny' performs in tests....
Thanks Simon40. you hit the nail on the head, money is always a problem thats why I said I was only thinking about upgrading not that I will,
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:37 PM   #7

the zoom on the fz150 is still mighty long - i shot trees over the freeway from where i was - a wide freeway, btw - and the pics came out well. and in good light the image quality is also very good. i admit i'm verrry interested in the fz200, but wouldn't hesitate to buy an fz150 again.

here are 5 samples from my fz150
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5001982...th/6651434937/
the one with the gatling gun (orange background) was shot in a dark room in a museum, and even the light pointed on it was quite dim. the one with the treetop was shot at full zoom across a 5 lane freeway and a couple lanes of street.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote