Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Rugged camera with best image quality - is ?

Which camera is the best rugged camera in terms of image quality ?

Thank you in advance,

Tor, Denmark
Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2

What is your price range? Are you looking for a point and shoot or DSLR? Best rugged DSLR is probably the Canon EOS 7D if price is not a factor.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3

oh, should have said that it must be small and portable, I use it when running. I have currently the Sony TX-5 but wonder if it is time to upgrade ?

Tor
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:43 PM   #4

I take a camera out with me whilst running also- though I still use a scruffy old J100 Fuji- simply because it still works...!
Do you think the TX-5 is lacking in some way...?
This looks nice,however...!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/05...compact-camera
Panasonic's TS3/FT3 is worth a look also...

Last edited by SIMON40; Jul 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:35 PM   #5

I have the Panasonic Lumix TS-3 and it has made a couple of newspaper covers. The image quality is very very good. I used to have thr Olympus SW 1050 and I wanted to upgrade it because the fact the flash would always flash for each image until I took the time to turn it off after the camera booted up was driving me up the wall and I wanted something slightly faster shot to to shoot. So I spent 3 months doing research and the TS-3 is what I choose to get knowing I needed something I could use in the snow and rain and make good newspaper images from when I could not use my Pentax K-5. The only downside of this camera is I need to carry 2 spare charged batteries with me to get me through a full afternoon of shooting........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 PM   #6

Running, cycling, kayaking, rock climbing, diving (waterproof to 60meters below), skiing (battery is heated) low fuss(only has 2 buttons and no lcd) The GoPro Hero2
A wearable POV camera. All kinds of ways to attach it to you or your equipment.
I've been having a blast since I got mine.
I picked up the "Outdoor Edition" + a bike mount kit and a suction cup kit.
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/

Its maximum settings are:
11Mp stills at 2 frames a second, or a 10 frame/second burst and 1080P 30fps video.
The minimum settings are 5Mp stills minutes apart, and wvga at 120 frames a second.

I jammed it on the car dash and let it fire at 2 * 11mp frames a second on my way home from a healthy snack at McD's
Then used their provided software to turn the thousands of 11mp images into a 1080P video clip. And Adobe Premier Elements to add titles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KtC5AfrTcw

It makes good images and is rugged, lots of videos on the youtube with it taking a pounding attached to skate/surf boards and many other things

Last edited by PeterP; Jul 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:27 AM   #7

Thank you for the suggestions. I am aware of all these models, however, I still hold the TX20 as "perhaps superior" for the special niche of running (mind this !).

A question about the TS3/TS4 : since it does not have cover for the "eye", does it not easily pick up smudge, dirt, grease from fingers etc. ? When running I take my camera up and down (ie. in and out of my running belt) many times during a marathon and canīt use time (nor equipment) to clean in between. Is this a justified concern ?

The Olympus looks great but it might be too bulky and heavy for running. But I like the extension possibilites for sure.

Thanks again and hope to hear more...

Tor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:55 AM   #8

A genuine and justified concern with regards lens cover- and I know where you're coming from. In this regard the TX is advantageous- though a quick wipe from a corner of the running vest might suffice on other models..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:30 PM   #9

A question about the TS3/TS4 : since it does not have cover for the "eye", does it not easily pick up smudge, dirt, grease from fingers etc. ? When running I take my camera up and down (ie. in and out of my running belt) many times during a marathon and canīt use time (nor equipment) to clean in between. Is this a justified concern ?

So far that has not been an issue of mine. But I tend to clean it once every two weeks...... I tend to get more finger prints etc on the LCD screen and have to wipe that off more often....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:02 AM   #10

my tuff camera is a nikon aw100, waterproof, shockproof etc and it takes very good pictures, 1080p video and it also does slow motion video at a lower res though, but its a neat little trick
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote