Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:53 PM   #1

Location: north eastern Michigan in a cedar swamp with DH and Luna and Ziggy
Default Is ZS15 a Big Enough Upgrade over my LZ8?

Or do I just wait till I can afford the FZ150?

I've got a Panny LZ8. It's been a great little camera, has lots of manual options, takes nice photos, etc. But over the years my only real complaint has been the inability for shooting good low light photos (the wedding reception photos I took in February are unusable) and the zoom is only 5x, so those pileated wood peckers still look tiny.

Now I've been drooling over the FZ150 for quite some time now but it's still over my budget. So when the ZS15 popped up on my radar I was thinking maybe this one could be a nice upgrade. The 16x zoom is good enough for me and it's at a super price of $165 right now. But low light has been my other problem and when I look at the specs I'm thinking that while the longer zoom is great, in comparing other design specs to my LZ8 I'm thinking not so much. Both have f3.3-5.9 lenses and though the ZS15 sensor is slightly larger I can't imagine it would really be that much better in low light, or am I missing something? Don't quite understand the diff between a CCD and a CMOS sensor, but still can't imagine that making that big a difference.

(I know the video is probably a lot better than what I've got now but it's not an important issue.)

So unless someone can point out a great reason for getting the ZS15 I am thinking I really ought to wait and hope the FZ150 drops in price before they stop manufacturing them. And that's the other thing that worries me, I've been waiting for it to drop below $400 ($350 would be really nice but is that even realistic?) which with the FZ200 on the horizon I'm hoping will happen soon. But with the 150 being so popular I wonder if it ever will.

In the meantime, I'm trying not to drool over the specs for the FZ200 or I'll never get myself a better camera!
MIMudPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:07 PM   #2

Just something to ponder- the ZS15(TZ25) actually shares the same sensor as the FZ-150- and by some accounts,betters the IQ of the ZS20(TZ30) because of that fact.
The low light/high iso quality has improved since the LZ8,the video quality is excellent,the autofocus is sharp(in both video and stills) and has fast burst modes.
Though the TZ20 has a longer zoom,stereo mic's on the video and GPS.

With the FZ-200 on the horizon- maybe a bargain might be had- if you can find one, as supplies seem to be low..!
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...DMC_ZS15_TZ25/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:55 PM   #3

I noticed earlier a mention that they might have the same sensor though for some reason it didn't dawn on me that it could make that big of a difference. When I saw the ZS20 had more mp I immediately thought its IQ might not be as good and all the reviews I've read seem to bear that out. I couldn't care less about the gps and i haven't missed having stereo on my current camera as I don't take many videos anyway though I suppose with better video that could change. I find it odd how the camera companies decided to change features from one model to another. What were they thinking to make the ZS20 14 mp? It boggles the mind!

I may just get the ZS15 and wait a couple years till the FZ200 becomes old hat. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:04 AM   #4

The 14mp in the TZ30 is simply a marketing ploy.... most think more is better... and simply on that basis... should sell more..!!
I have to say though,that the mono audio on the TZ25 is a bit odd- given it's capable movie capture- by all means have a stripped down "lower end" model, but that is a step too far for me, though I suspect many may not notice... and if video is not high up on the priority list, the TZ25 offers great value...

Last edited by SIMON40; Aug 1, 2012 at 4:06 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5

The mono does seem odd, I mean, how much more/less does it cost to revert back to a mono mike? Maybe they had a huge supply of them in the assembly bins they needed to get rid of?

I hope I really like this camera (I did pull the trigger on it last night and ordered one though oddly I don't feel very excited about it at the moment). It's possible I've gotten to the point where I really just want a much better camera and the ZS15 may not be enough for me. For years I did use a Minolta SLR even though I gave up on it when the shutter failed after 2 repairs. (still have it in its bag in a closet.)

I always figured I'd eventually get a dSLR but the P&S cameras have been awfully convenient over the years, I must have gotten lazy. But I figure this camera will still be a step up for me and once I get going again in photography I'll probably know better what I really want and it will probably be a bridge camera. It's just a matter of time now.