Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:38 AM   #1

Default For Intimate Portraits + Product Shots....

Hey all... I need a new camera for taking some product shots for a web site... think like Victoria Secret type of shots. Room is about 12'x12', lighting is horrendous, and budget is fairly low.

From advice of some others, I have narrowed down to this, and want to make sure there isnt any huge negs about this decision... if u have an alternative please feel free to tell me what and why, but I already have spent a ton of time weeding down to this so I rather just go with it with everything else being pretty equal... thanks!

First for lighting, I am planning on getting a couple of reflectors and get the max sunlight I can in through the two north facing big sliding screen doors I have. Then I will put a white sheet to cover the opposing red wall, and another as a backdrop. I will use a white or beige satin sheet to cover the bed or floor under the model. I think I may need another strobe/flash, so need to know if the built in is good enough, or can I use my old Sakar 22A flash, or should I need a bright quality strobe?

I am thinking what I have is good enough if I am getting the T2i with the EF 50mm f/1.8 II. That combo seems to be great in low indoor light, decent bokeh, good at higher ISO's, very good video (will need), external mic is a huge plus, and for a total cost of about $530 brand new.

Thanks guys!
JMASTERJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:49 AM   #2

The built in flashes are very weak, but your distances are also short, should work. Although don't expect to have good results if you try to bounce with it.

Sakar 22a flash was for an old ae1 type film body?
If it works at all you will need a flash meter, there will be no automation.
And CHECK its trigger voltage before trying to use it,
some of the old flashes had trigger voltages rated in the hundreds of volts which could seriously damage a modern camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMASTERJ View Post
I think I may need another strobe/flash, so need to know if the built in is good enough, or can I use my old Sakar 22A flash, or should I need a bright quality strobe?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
The built in flashes are very weak, but your distances are also short, should work. Although don't expect to have good results if you try to bounce with it.

Sakar 22a flash was for an old ae1 type film body?
If it works at all you will need a flash meter, there will be no automation.
And CHECK its trigger voltage before trying to use it,
some of the old flashes had trigger voltages rated in the hundreds of volts which could seriously damage a modern camera.

LOL, r u the only one who participates here???

YES! How the %@(&*$# did u know that, did u used to use the AE-1 Program? I loved that camera, I still have it!

It works, just tested it, but ya, I guess I cant just plug it in the hot shoe and go... so if additional hardware is needed, I might as well just go with a strobe... and I am guessing the T3i popup flash is almost useless in my case?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:43 AM   #4

Yes used to use canon film bodies ae1p, a1, f1, still have the a1 and it seems to operate.

In a small room as you have the popup flash might just work out, hard to say until you try.
Though diffusing it or bouncing it might be a problem if you try any light modifiers.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Yes used to use canon film bodies ae1p, a1, f1, still have the a1 and it seems to operate.

In a small room as you have the popup flash might just work out, hard to say until you try.
Though diffusing it or bouncing it might be a problem if you try any light modifiers.
Nice, almost wanna bring out my ol' AE-1 Program again, haha... not sure if they even sell film in stores anymore.

Ya thats the only thing, that it will be direct to the body so it may create some undesirable shadows/lines etc.... so yes, I will try and see then, but I think I'll get some strong sun into the room with the reflectors, so thats a plus.

Thanks!