Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:49 PM   #1

Default ZS15 vs SX230

Hi all.

Anyone have experience with these two cameras?

They look pretty similar but the canon (as per almost usual now) does not remove chromographic abberations from their images and the Panasonic does.

ZS15 has better performance and zoom.

I get totally confused by the reviews by Steve on this site in which the SX230 is lauded for having great ISO performance at 3200 and the ZS15 is said to have poor ISO performance over ISO 800 yet the images look pretty darn close to each other at ISO 3200 (with the canon with a slight advantage, IMHO).

If it were not for the review saying the SX230 ISO performance was very good and the ZS15 was not so good, I would definately go with the ZS15 (if they were basically equal as per ISO).

I will do some low light pictures without flash so I figured the 3.1 lens would be better than the 3.3 lens but I cannot say that is clearely the case here.

Anyone have both cameras and able to compare the image quality through the ISO settings?

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Aug 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:56 AM   #2

You might want to look at this review- which has direct iso comparisons between the TZ25(ZS15) and the SX240(which shares the same sensor as the 230).
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...25/index.shtml
In my humble opinion- the Canon's tend to have slightly "cleaner" images- yet some would argue that the panny's offer slightly more detail.
However- the differences are slight and you'd have to go looking for them- and certainly unlikely to be noticed at normal print sizes,say up to A4.
One thing I will say,however,is that I'd purchase neither if high iso performance was high up on the wish list- as neither are exactly strong in this area,partly due to the inevitable compromises of a big zoom/small bodied/small sensor camera- though they are as good as you can get in this class of camera at present.
One thing which may or may not concern you is the TZ25's mono only audio on the movies...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
You might want to look at this review- which has direct iso comparisons between the TZ25(ZS15) and the SX240(which shares the same sensor as the 230).
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...25/index.shtml
In my humble opinion- the Canon's tend to have slightly "cleaner" images- yet some would argue that the panny's offer slightly more detail.
However- the differences are slight and you'd have to go looking for them- and certainly unlikely to be noticed at normal print sizes,say up to A4.
One thing I will say,however,is that I'd purchase neither if high iso performance was high up on the wish list- as neither are exactly strong in this area,partly due to the inevitable compromises of a big zoom/small bodied/small sensor camera- though they are as good as you can get in this class of camera at present.
One thing which may or may not concern you is the TZ25's mono only audio on the movies...!
Hi.

Yes, I agree, I am not buying them specifically for low light - I have my D5100 for that.

I really just want a camera that gives me the sharpest images in this particular class for various conditions including indoor shots.

I think it comes down to chromagraphc abberation (CA) vs. ISO noise. Which of these is more likely to make an image less "sharp"?
Can CA be removed in post processing?
Am I more likely in general photography to encounter more CA or more low light situations?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:38 AM   #4

Given what both camera's are intended for (not "pro" shooting...) there really is little in it- you'd have to be pixel peeping to find their slight differences.
CA can be removed with a decent editing program- though not really necessary in the case of the Panny'- very good in that area.
One persons "general" photography may differ from another's.... only you can say what conditions the camera will frequently be shooting in.

For what it's worth- I'd prefer the Panny' because I think they're build quality is better,the menu's and switches/dials are organised better and I prefer the standard issue flash on the Panny.
One thing I really like on the Panny' (and many might overlook this) is the playback/shooting switch- which if you leave in the playback mode, in the event of accidentally pressing the "On" switch, the lens won't come out, thus no chance of camera/lens damage.
And they ARE "switches" on the Panny...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Given what both camera's are intended for (not "pro" shooting...) there really is little in it- you'd have to be pixel peeping to find their slight differences.
CA can be removed with a decent editing program- though not really necessary in the case of the Panny'- very good in that area.
One persons "general" photography may differ from another's.... only you can say what conditions the camera will frequently be shooting in.

For what it's worth- I'd prefer the Panny' because I think they're build quality is better,the menu's and switches/dials are organised better and I prefer the standard issue flash on the Panny.
One thing I really like on the Panny' (and many might overlook this) is the playback/shooting switch- which if you leave in the playback mode, in the event of accidentally pressing the "On" switch, the lens won't come out, thus no chance of camera/lens damage.
And they ARE "switches" on the Panny...
Hi Simon40.

Thanks for the feedback.

On the dpreview page if I compare the two cameras on their bar chart it says the Canon has better ISO performance and better exposure/focus, but that the Panisonic has better "image quality".

Do you know what is meant by "image quality". How can two major components of picture quality be much better in the canon but still have the picture quality be worse?

And where does sharpness fall in all of this? My current P&S canon (sx130) tends to produce pretty soft images, while my older P&S a610 gave very sharp images.

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:05 PM   #6

Yes.... the confusing/conflicting messages one can get from certain reviews... lol...

As I mentioned earlier, the differences are slight.
I'd say at iso 800/1600 the Canon's images are cleaner- but most of that is due to smoothing/noise reduction- so whether you prefer cleaner- or sharper- is down to personal preference...!
If you shoot both in their respective "Auto" mode, I would say the Panasonic delivers "punchier" images in good/favourable lighting- with the Panny' seemingly selective with where it applies noise reduction, resulting in what appears to be a sharper image.
Exposure wise, I'd say they're both accurate with regards lighting- though the Canon tends to err on the warm side of colour balance whilst the Panny tends to be a bit cooler- neither of which is a deal breaker as both can be remedied with a reasonable editing program.
With regards focus- I've had no issues with either- though the Panny's AF is faster.

Going back to sharpness- I would say the Panny' has an advantage simply because it has a better start point- that being a better lens- with good overall sharpness across the frame- before the processors get to work..!
I've had several TZ's and the lenses always perform well....

Have a look at my Flickr site- with the last 3 shots taken with a TZ10- an older cam' now in the grand scheme of things- but it will give you an idea of lens performance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by SIMON40; Aug 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes.... the confusing/conflicting messages one can get from certain reviews... lol...

As I mentioned earlier, the differences are slight.
I'd say at iso 800/1600 the Canon's images are cleaner- but most of that is due to smoothing/noise reduction- so whether you prefer cleaner- or sharper- is down to personal preference...!
If you shoot both in their respective "Auto" mode, I would say the Panasonic delivers "punchier" images in good/favourable lighting- with the Panny' seemingly selective with where it applies noise reduction, resulting in what appears to be a sharper image.
Exposure wise, I'd say they're both accurate with regards lighting- though the Canon tends to err on the warm side of colour balance whilst the Panny tends to be a bit cooler- neither of which is a deal breaker as both can be remedied with a reasonable editing program.
With regards focus- I've had no issues with either- though the Panny's AF is faster.

Going back to sharpness- I would say the Panny' has an advantage simply because it has a better start point- that being a better lens- with good overall sharpness across the frame- before the processors get to work..!
I've had several TZ's and the lenses always perform well....

Have a look at my Flickr site- with the last 3 shots taken with a TZ10- an older cam' now in the grand scheme of things- but it will give you an idea of lens performance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:36 PM   #8

I own the Canon and its image quality is fine for its class (compact travel zooms). My main complaint is that the camera is a bit sluggish in terms of response and zoom speed.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote