Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:58 AM   #1

Default T2i vs T3i+extras For Intimate Portraits + Product Shots

I am doing product shots of intimate and casual wear, like Victoria Secret stuff indoors with medium light and max shoot distance of 7-8 ft.. no print, no wow photos, just need avg web shop photos for now, and I love the external mic/awesome video features, which I will need, + unreal LCD display as the T2i...

I was gonna get the T2i body per my last post for $430 + about a $100+ lens, $550 total or so.... BUT a deal came up for the T3i:

For $60 more, I would get (this new deal = $610):

- T2i to T3i "upgrade"
- 18-55mm IS II Lens+ (is this glass ok for me? THIS is the biggest question) (~$120)

So basically comes out to a "free upgrade," unless the glass sucks for me... The remote flash would be useful if I need to add a strobe or two, and the flip out screen is just nice for video and off angle shooting, etc... too bad they couldnt increase the continuous shooting speed, oh well.

Now the advantages of the Canon T2i, not real deal breakers but...
Much less startup delay 400 ms vs 1500 ms
Smaller 129x98x62 mm vs 133x99x79 mm
Thinner 2.4" vs 3.1"
Lighter 530 g vs 570 g
Slightly better image quality 66.0 vs 65.0
Less shutter lag 252 ms vs 283 ms
Slightly larger viewfinder 0.54x vs 0.53x

So the verdict is..............?
(I am assuming u guys will say the included lens in the T3i will be the make or break point... I just have no idea because I dont need a great lens right now, something that will get the job done, better than my P&S)

Thanks!

Last edited by JMASTERJ; Aug 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM.
JMASTERJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:56 AM   #2

t2i and t3i are almost the same camera body, very minor differences.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens is an OK lens, however it is much slower than your other option the 50mm f/1.8.
It is just over 3 stops slower at the 50mm end than the prime lens wide open.
Not so good in low light indoor situations without using additional lighting.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
t2i and t3i are almost the same camera body, very minor differences.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens is an OK lens, however it is much slower than your other option the 50mm f/1.8.
It is just over 3 stops slower at the 50mm end than the prime lens wide open.
Not so good in low light indoor situations without using additional lighting.
I have some good sunlight coming in from big sliding doors with a couple of reflectors, and if need be, a strobe as well, so I should be fine right? This deal only comes with that lens and I just want to get something already because I have been researching this for a couple of weeks and ready for hands on experience. I'll get the better glass as I can afford or find out this one sucks way too bad, which doesnt seem to be the case though? I will also be using a tripod and remote trigger.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4

the 18-55 is an adequate lens, better than some people claim but slow for indoors. the canon 50mm f/1.8 can be had for around $100 - it's much faster, sharper and contrastier. build quality is meh, but if you're gentle, it's a great lens. and the price is so reasonable that you could make it collecting cans.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...GREY&A=details
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
the 18-55 is an adequate lens, better than some people claim but slow for indoors. the canon 50mm f/1.8 can be had for around $100 - it's much faster, sharper and contrastier. build quality is meh, but if you're gentle, it's a great lens. and the price is so reasonable that you could make it collecting cans.
LOL well the 50mm was one of my possibilities, but a couple of people I know shot that down bec of my limited quarters and the way it produces "unflattering" shots for the female for such intimate purposes. They said having a zoom is preferable in my situation and no doubt the 85mm is a great lens but just not needed to spend that much money on those types, yet.